Chapter 38

Scott and I walked—him walking, and me trotting on four legs—back to the crash site.

Stiles saw us. "Guys! I think I found something."

"So did we." Scott looked at me, then him. "You got any extra clothes?"

Stiles looked confused, then nodded. "Come on. Got some in my Jeep for you." we headed away from the crash site and out of the woods, the Jeep coming into view.

Stiles opened the back of the car and I hopped in, waiting until he had closed the Jeep and turned around until I shifted back; finding my underwear and bra in a bag along with some leggings.

I put them on and rolled down the window, getting Stiles' attention. "Why do you have my underwear and bra in a bag in the back of your car?"

His face went red. "Precaution. I promise I won't do that again. It made me very uncomfortable."

"Okay. But we're not speaking about this again." I told him. "and you forgot a shirt."

"Oh, no. That was intentional." he said to me, taking off the flannel he had over his shirt and handed it to me through the opened window. "As much as I love your clothes, I love seeing you in mine more."

I smiled at him and buttoned his flannel up, getting out of the Jeep and brushing my hair from my face. "So. What'd you find?"

He gestured for me to follow him, the two of us meeting back up with Scott before Stiles led us deep into the woods, coming upon a large cave and going in.

"It's a coyote den." Stiles told us.

"Werecoyote." Scott corrected.

Stiles picked up a pink scarf. "You see this? This is Malia's. Remember? It's the same one she was wearing in the photo."

"We shouldn't be in here." I said.

"What do you mean?" Scott asked.

"She's not going to come back now. We just invaded her home—our scent's going to be everywhere." I said to the two boys.

"If she's not going to come back here, where's she going to go?" Stiles asked.

"I don't know..." Scott shook his head.

Stiles shoved the scarf in Scott's face. "Can you track her now? You think you got her scent?"

"Maybe...but I'm better at this when I'm a full wolf...and I'm still worried that if I do it, I won't be able to turn back."

"The door's still open." Stiles sighed.

"I could do it, but I'd rather not rip the last pair of clothes I have today." I said.

Scott looked at us. "If I can't get to Derek, we're gonna have to find someone else to help. This is basically a crime scene, right? I think it might be a little out of my boss' league..."

"...and more in my dad's." Stiles finished with a nod of agreement.

                                 ========

"You're sure it was her?" Noah asked as he got out of the car and walked up to us on the preserve.

    Scott nodded. "Parker and I looked her right in the eyes, and they glowed, just like mine."

    "It makes sense, Dad." Stiles said.

    "But it wasn't a girl—it was a four-legged coyote, right?" Noah asked.

    "Well, okay...but yeah, see, that's the point that we don't exactly have figured out yet." Stiles said.

    "Okay, but if it was a full moon, and she did change while her mom was driving, then anything could have happened—" I said.