Chapter 26

I watched Isaac pace back and forth from my spot on the couch.

    "You know, I'm starting not to like this idea. Sounds kinda dangerous...you know what? I definitely don't like this idea, and I definitely don't like him..." Isaac said.

    Derek sighed and looked up from the book in his hand. "You'll be fine."

    Isaac looked at him. "Does it have to be him?"

    Derek nodded. "He knows how to do it—we don't. It'd be more dangerous if we tried doing it."

    "You know Scott doesn't trust him, right? You know, personally, I'd...well, I'd trust Scott."

    "Do you trust me?" Derek asked.

    "...yeah." Isaac replied hesitantly.

    Derek sighed at his hesitation. "Do You trust Parker?"

    "One-hundred percent." he said quickly.

    "Okay then. Trust her. You'll be fine." Derek said to Isaac.

    "I still don't like him." Isaac said.

    "Nobody likes him." Derek said.

    "I....somewhat like him." I said.

    The loft door rolled open and Uncle Peter stepped through, walking down the stairs. "Boys...FYI? Yes, coming back from the dead has left my abilities slightly impaired...but, the hearing still works. And, Parker, I'm glad to see you slowly coming around to me. So, boys, I hope you're comfortable saying whatever it is that you're feeling straight to my face."

    Derek sighed and shut his book. "We don't like you. Now shut up and help us."

    Peter shrugged. "Fair enough."

I stood up and walked to my uncle. "Uncle Peter, can you help us?"

He looked at me. "Of course, Parker. I've always had a soft spot for you."

Isaac looked nervous, but sat in a chair as Peter walked around behind him, getting his claws out.

"Relax. I'll get more out of you if you're calm." Peter said.

"How do you know how to do this, again?" Isaac asked nervously.

"It's an ancient ritual used mostly by Alphas, since it's a skill that requires quite a bit of practice. One slip, and you could paralyze someone...or kill them." Peter said.

"You...you've had a lot of practice, though, right?" Isaac asked.

"Well, I've never paralyzed anyone."

"...wait, does that mean that you—" Isaac went silent as Peter inserted his claws in the back of Isaac's neck, the two spasming for a few seconds before Peter ripped his claws back out.

"What'd you see?" I asked.

"It was confusing...um, im-images, vague shapes..." Peter answered.

"But you saw something." Derek said.

Our uncle looked at us. "Isaac found them."

"Erica and Boyd?" Derek asked.

"I barely saw them— I mean, glimpses—"

"But you did see them?" Derek asked.

Peter nodded. "And worse."

Derek sighed. "...Deucalion."

"He was talking to them. Something about time running out." Peter said.