Chapter 9

"Dr. Halstead?" Will flinched and turned around to see whose voice was that. He was standing in the ER leaning against a vending machine, trying hard not to fall asleep after being awake for god knows how long.

Claire was standing in front of him, looking right into his hazel eyes.

"Claire, is everything okay?" He knew it sounded stupid considering her situation.

"Would you mind sitting with Connor for a while? I need to get a hold of my dad and tell him what has happened," she explained, playing with a silver ring on her middle finger.

"Of course," Will answered without hesitation.

+++

The Intelligence Unit has just arrived back at the precinct. They took Mr. Borrowan to an interrogation room and Jay sat in front of the suspect.

"So, Mr. Everwood, can you talk me through what happened?"

"I... I'm sorry," the man whispered. "Is doctor Rhodes alive?"

Jay looked at the man. He was truly broken, this wasn't an act.

"He is, he survived but remains in a critical condition," the young detective answered.

Mr. Everwood let out air as if he's been holding it since the attack, tears started rolling down his cheeks.

"Thank God."

+++

"Hey, buddy," Will said as he entered the hospital room. "Can I sit here with you for a bit?"

There was no answer, obviously. His friend, you might even say best friend, was unconscious, the only sound in the room was coming from many machines surrounding him.

Will slowly pulled out the plastic chair that was next to the bed, and quietly sat on it. He took a deep breath, studying Connor's pale face.

Why did this happen? If only he had found his phone a little sooner, he might have stopped the attacker.

+++

Clair found a quiet hallway a few floors above the ICU. She was walking from onr end to the other, holding her phone in her hand. She found her dad's number in the contacts but she couldn't bring herself to click on the dial button.

She didn't know what to say to him, their relationship wasn't the best, it was basically based solely on business, they didn't really talk about anything else.

"Okay, come on," she whispered and took a deep breath. Then she dialed her father while continuing walking.

She never called him unless it was serious so she knew he would pick up if he had the chance. It took him a second but eventually she heard her father's voice.

"Yes, Claire? Is everything okay?"

She bit her lip before answering. "Dad, I think you need to come back to Chicago. Right now."

***

I hope you're having a great day. Let me know what you think. Will Connor's dad come?

As always, I'm sorry for all the possible mistakes.