Chapter 2

Connor entered the O.R. and looked at the vitals. It didn't look good.

"Christina, talk to me," he said to the doctor, who was performing the operation.

"Blood is everywhere. I can't find the source. Damn it. Suction."

"I'm gonna scrub in," Connor said.

"Please, hurry," Christina mumled.

2 hours later

"Okay, you can close," Connor said. "I'm gonna inform the family."

"Thank you, Connor," Christina said. She was a senior resident. A damn good one.

"You did a great job," Connor smiled at and then he left the O.R.

He entered the waiting room once again. Gabby stood up the minute she saw the doctor.

"I'm sorry I didn't come sooner, I had to scrub in," Connor explained.

"Why? What happened?" she asked. Sylvie, who was standing right next to her, grabbed her hand.

"There was a massive bleeding, but we got it under control. We'll watch him closely, his body is very weak. I read the chart, he had a hemothorax so he has a chest tube and he's intubated."

"So he's gonna be okay?" Joe Cruz asked.

"He's not out of the woods yet," Connor answered. "But, as you know, he's a fighter."

Gabby came closer to Connor and hugged him. She thanked him.

"I'm sorry for what happened earlier. You okay?" she asked when she let go.

"I'm pretty sure I should be asking that," he smiled. "And it's doctor Christina Murin you should thank. I wasn't there from the beginning."

"Doctor Rhodes to the E.R."

"I gotta go. He should be in the ICU in fifteen minutes. Fifth floor."

"Thanks, doc," Herrman yelled as Connor ran away.

Dr. Choi came after a few minutes.

"I just got the info that Kelly's out of surgery. They're moving him to the ICU now."

"Thanks, Ethan."

++++

Connor was sitting on a couch with head in his hands. He was tired. It was almost the end of his shift. Finally.

Will came in and sit next to him.

"Three big accidents. All I want is to sleep now."

"Yeah, tell me about it," Connor mumled.

"I heard you had operated on Casey."

"Yeah. I helped Murin to fix him. You heard anything about Kelly?"

"They operated on his right thigh. He's stable."

"Good."

Then they sat in silence. Maybe they fell asleep for a few minutes. Suddenly, Will's phone rang.

"Pause is over. Gotta go. See ya."

++++

Matt's room

Gabby watched her husband. So many wires and machines.

"He's gonna wake any minute," Kelly said. He asked to be moved to the same room the minute he woke up. It took him a little convincing but he made it.

He took Gabby's hand. She smiled at him. He was stubborn. He should be in bed but instead he was in the wheelchair with his leg up.

Kelly looked at his best friend, his brother. He looked like a ghost. He remembered the last moment before the collapse. Matt yelling his name.

++++

Connor put on his jacket and took his bag. He couldn't wait to get home. To his bed.

"Good night, Maggie," he smiled. Maggie knew that it was a fake one. That he did it only because he didn't want her to worry.

"Good night. Drive carefully."

Connor left the building and took a deep breath. It was a long day. He went to check on Matt earlier. He wasn't surprised when he found Kelly there, too. His vitals looked good.

"If anything changes, call me," he told him, quietly, because Gabby was sleeping.

"Thanks."

Connor got to his car and opened the door.

"Doctor Rhodes," said a voice behind him.

"Mr. Everwood? What are you doing here?"

"My son just became a lawyer, you know. First one in our family who went to university," he told him.

"I'm sorry," Connor said.

"My wife died when he was three. Car accident."

"Mr. Everwood, I'm really sorry. If there's-"

"Shut up. I have no one. You killed my son. I'm all alone now."

Connor sighed. The man was broken.
He pulled something out of his jacket. A knife.

"Mr. Everwood. Think about what you want to do. I can help you," Connor tried talking him down.

"Shut the hell up. You did enough. I won't let you kill anyone else."

"Mr. Ev-" He didn't finish it. He felt a sharp pain in his abdomen. And then again, it was his chest.

"Connor?" he heard a familiar voice.

****

I'm sorry for all the mistakes.

Please let me know what do you think:)