Chapter 7

Gabby made her way back to Matt's room, trying to calm down before she entered. Kelly was still sitting next to Matt who was fast asleep. Actually, both of them were sleeping.

"They're cute, huh?" April appeared behind Gabby with an IV bag. She replaced the old one as quietly as she could. "I'll give you some privacy. If you need anything, just call."

"Thank you," Gabby smiled and then sat next to the bed from the other side. She gabbed Matt's hand and kissed it. His eyes opened and he gave Gabby a weak smile.

"Hi baby, did I wake you?" Gabby asked.

"No, I actually heard all the 'they're cute' thing," he whispered, his throat still sore from the intubation. Gabby smiled and then kissed him.

"I love you," she said, fighting tears.

"I love you too. Hey, I'm okay. You can't get rid of me that easily," he joked.

Gabby couldn't fight the tears anymore.

"I was so scared, you were fighting for your life and the doctor who saved you is now fighting for his."

"What? What happened, Gabby?" Matt said, speaking louder than before and started coughing right away.

Kelly woke up, asking what was wrong.

"I'm okay. But somebody isn't."

***

Will sat on the couch, trying to process everything that had happened. He didn't remember the last time he had slept.

Ethan entered the room, looking like Will felt. 

"No news," Ethan said before Will could even ask. "But Maggie gave mě this." He gave Will a small piece od paper with a number on it.

"Whose number is that?"

"Clair Rhodes, Maggie thought since you're Connor's emergency contact that you should have it, you know, in case you want to contact her or something," Ethan explained.

***

Gabby finished explaining everything that had happened and looked at Matt and Kelly. They looked shocked, maybe confused.

"I know, it's a lot to take in," Gabby finally decided to say, trying to grab Matt's arm.

"He's still in surgery?" Matt asked, looking in front of him.

"Yeah but I'm sure they will let us know once he's out," Gabby answered.

***

Once Claire got the call from Will, she immediately canceled all the meetings and took a ride to the hospital.

"Hi, I'm looking for doctor Halstead," Claire said to a nurse she had found in a hallway.

"Ms. Rhodes?" Will appeared behind her.

"Yes. How's Connor? Can I see him?"

"I'm sorry, he's still in surgery. Come with me, I will explain everything."

***

Christina finally came out of the O.R. after three hours of trying to save Connor.

She sat on one of the chairs a took a deep breath. Her hands were shaking but she did a good job. He was alive. Now it was up to him to fight. But she knew he would.