Chapter 12

Claire still couldn't believe what was happening. Her father was there. With her brother. After everything that had happened, he came because his son needed him.

Dolan Rhodes was sitting by his son's side, holding his hand, eyes closed. He was saying anything, at least not out loud.

+++

"Connor's dad?" Will asked again, thinking he misheard April's words.

"Yep. I was just as surprised as you are," April answered while pouring coffee into her favourite mug. "You want some?"

"No, thanks. I still can't wrap my head around it. Dolan Rhodes himself actually made the trip to see his son."

"I know right. People are full of surprises."

+++

"Any update on Connor's condition?"
Matt asked when Gabby came back to his room with a cup of tea and a snack bar in her hand.

"I talked to April and there's been no change. Still unconscious, still somewhat stable. But guess who came to visit him?"

"Who?"

+++

While almost every staff member of the hospital was talking about the unexpected visit, Connor was fighting for his life.

He didn't know what was happening around him as he was lost in his own mind.

He saw his mother. They were back at their old house, preparing dinner together. His mother was mumbling some song as she was mixing the ingredients in a pot.

Connor knew that something was off about this situation but at the same time he was so happy to see his mother again that he wanted to stay in this moment forever.

He was cutting vegetable and looking at his mother which is not something one should do at the same time.

"Damn it," Connor said when he felt the knife slip and cut his finger.

His mum immediately stopped cooking and turned at him with a worried look at her face.

"Oh Connor," she said while putting a cloth on his hand. He didn't care about his bleeding finger, he just stared at his mother, enjoying seeing her again.

+++

"He looks like he's smiling," Claire said, watching her brother. She was still holding his hand as if she could somehow give him strength.

Her father was stranding by the window, not moving an inch. He was watching his son closely, waiting for him to open his eyes any second. Unfortunately it didn't happen.

They stayed like this for hours until doctor Murin came in to check on her patient.

Claire didn't hear her entering the room because she had fallen asleep. She was sitting on a chair, her head resting on the edge of the bed.

Mr. Rhodes on the other hand was wide awake, watching the doctor getting closer to her son. She studied the machines for a while and then she look at a file in her hands. She wrote something down and then she turned to Dolan with a look he couldn't decipher.