Chapter 10

"April, have you seen Will?" Natalie asked while going through some charts on the nurses' desk.

"I think Diane saw him going up to the ICU an hour ago," April answered. "Haven't seen him since, he's probably still there."

"Okay, thanks." Natalie put the charts down and made her way upstairs. She found Connor's room and quietly entered. Will was there as April said he would be. He was sleeping in the most uncomfortable position Nat had ever seen. The she looked at the patient, her friend. She took the chart and quickly checked his stats. He was stable but still looked very unwell.

Nat came closer to Will and gently grabbed his shoulder. "Will?"

He was wide awake the next second. "What, what's going on?" Will looked at Natalie and then at Connor, trying to understand the situation.

"I think you should go home and get some proper sleep, you look like hell."

"No, I think I should stay."

Natalie wanted to say something but then Will's phone started to buzz. He took a step back from the bed as he could wake Connor and then accepted a call.

"Jay? You got him?" Will said without hesitation.

"Yeah, we got him, he confessed to everything. He's really broken, Will. Please, tell me you've got some good news."

Will looked at Connor. "He's hanging in there."

Jay sighed, had been hoping for some better news. "I will finish here and then stop by at the hospital, alright? Bring you something decent to eat."

"Thanks, brother."

+++

"So? Did you find out anything?" Matt asked as Gabby came into the room.

"Stable for now," Gabby said as she sat between Kelly and Matt and took a sip from a cup of coffee. Both firefighters were wide awake, feeling quite good considering everything that had happened. They were also restless as one of the their own still wasn't out of the woods.

"It feels so wrong that we're just laying here doing nothing," Matt said.

"Babe, there's nothing you can do, only rest and get better so that Connor hears good news when he wakes up."

Matt took a deep breath and looked at Kelly who had just received a text on his phone. "Everything good?"

"Yeah yeah... That was Jay. They caught the guy."

"What? Really?" Gabby turned her head.

"At least something," Matt mumbled.

"Now we can go back to resting," Gabby ordered as she took another sip.

+++

"Ms. Rhodes, is everything okay?" Maggie asked when she noticed the young lady sitting in the hallway chair with her eyes closed.

Clair opened her eyes and looked at the nurse.

"I just spoke with my father," she said, not really answering the question.

Maggie knew that the relationship between Connor and his father wasn't the best but she didn't know anything about the one between Claire and Mr. Rhodes.

"What did he say?" Maggie asked as she sat next to Claire.

"Just 'I gotta go'," Claire explained. "I guess a business meeting is more important that your own son."

"I'm sorry about that... but be sure that we're all here for both Connor and you. He's family."

"Thank you," Clair whispered, tears in her eyes. Maggie didn't hesitate and pulled her into a hug.