Chapter 5

After some time I decided to continue with this story. It's been a while since I've written something in English, so forgive me for the mistakes, please.

***

Will sat by Connor's side. His friend was lying on the white hospital bed with many tubes and monitors around him. He wasn't out of the woods. He still had to fight. He had to wake up so he could explain Will why he'd chosen him as his emergency contact and didn't tell him about it. It wasn't like he was mad at him, he actually felt kind of honored.

"Come on, buddy, you can do this," he whispered. Suddenly, he got paged. "Don't go anywhere, I'll come back."

***

Gabby entered the hospital after one hour nap she took at home. Everything looked the same, even though people looked more tired, maybe even sad. She though it was just exhaustion but then she saw the young surgeon that operated on Matt. She was leaning against a wall next to the elevator doors.

"Hey, are you okay?" Gabby asked.

"Yeah, yeah. Thank you," she gave her a weak smile. Gabby could see that she had tears in her eyes but didn't say anything.

She went to the ICU floor. When the doors opened, she saw Herrman talking to April. He looked pale, like he had just seen a ghost.

"Herrman? Is Matt okay?" Her heart started racing.

"Matt is totally fine, Kelly haven't left his side yet," April calmed her down.

"Then why do you all look like you've seen a ghost?"

"Connor's been attacked," April answered her question.

"No," she whispered. "How bad?"

"He's here now. Not out of the woods."

"Did you call his family?" That man saved her husband. She sure didn't want him to be alone.

"He didn't want us to do that," April said, shaking her head. "I know they don't have the best relationship but I still think we should call somebody."

"Can I visit him?" Herrmann asked April.

"I think he would want someone there. Come with me."

"I'm going to check on Matt and then come to you, okay?" Gabby said.

"Room 4257," April said with a smile.

***

Herrmann didn't really know what to say, so he just sat there, next to Connor's bed, talking about his kids.  He had seen them only once on a charity run that Station 51 had planned but they really liked him. He promised he would show them the OR one day.

"So you got to wake up and show them like you promised. They hate when someone breaks a promise. Trust me, I learned it the hard way," Herrmann said, smiling.

"Cindy could bake something for you. She made those muffins you ate at the run."

Out of the blue, Connor's hand moved.

"Connor?" Herrmann stood up. For a second, nothing happened, but then his hand moved again.

"Nurse!" Herrmann yelled. He ran outside of the room, trying to find somebody who could help.

"What is it?" a young nurse asked while running to the room.

"He moved his hand. That's good, right?"

The nurse came closer, looking at the monitors and then at the injured doctor lying on the bed. Not just a doctor. A friend.

"It could have been just a reflex. Don't get your hopes up, it's too soon for him to wake up, he's under heavy sedation. But I'll make a note for the doctor who's coming to check on him in an hour, okay?"

Herrmann just nodded, sitting back to the uncomfortable chair.

"It's really nice of you to make him company, sir."

***

"Any news, Jay?" Will asked his brother over to phone.

"We're close to catching this son of a bitch, don't worry. I'll call you the minute we have him under arrest. How's Connor?"

"No change. Which is a good thing, considering the condition he's in."

"Good. I gotta go now, I'll stop by as soon as I can."

"Go get him, Jay."

"Will do."

Once he hung up the phone, he made his way towards the ICU. He got to the floor just to hear Severide yelling for help.

"Casey's choking! Do something!"

***

And that's it for today. Let me know whether I should try to write more. And have a nice day :)