Chapter 6

Will ran to Matt's room as fast as he could. He saw Kelly learning over his best friend, monitors around him beeping rapidly.

"Kelly, move," Will asked the injured firefighter and he did what he was told. Will quickly checked the monitors and then moved to the pacient. Matt's eyes were wide open and full of fear.

"He's fighting the tube," Will explained. "Matt. Matt, you need to calm down, okay? I know it's not comfortable but you need to let the ventilator do its work."

It took a few seconds before Matt's heartbeat became stable again.

"Good. I'll get the tube out now," He said as he prepared. "Okay, now I need you to cough."

Kelly watched Will closely as he took the tube out of his friend's throat.

Suddenly, Gabby appeared inside with a pale face.

"What's wrong?" she asked as she ran closer.

Will looked up. "Nothing. It's actually really good. He's breathing on his own now."

Gabby grabbed Matt's hand and looked in his tired eyes. He gave her a weak smile as he took another breath on his own.

"Baby," Gabby whispered with tears in her eyes.

Matt tried to say something but ended up coughing.

"Take it easy, your throat will be sore for a while. I'll get you some ice chips," Will said, walking out of the room.

"Casey, you scared the hell out of me. Don’t do that ever again, you hear me, buddy?" Kelly told his best friend.

Matt just gave him a nod and then he closed his eyes, too tired to stay awake.

"Will you watch him for me? I'll be back soon," Gabby asked Severide.

"Of course."

***

Gaby found the room 4257 and slowly entered. Connor was lying peacefully on the bed, covered by a white blanket. He looked completely different. She quietly sat on the free chair next to the bed and looked at the doctor who saved her love.

"How could someone do this to you," she said, looking at the monitors.

"Matt is awake. He'll want to thank you so you need to wake up. Every one from the station is going to buy you a beer at Molly's," she told Connor with a sad smile on her face.

"No change?" Herrmann asked as he joined Gabby with a cup full of something that should be coffee.

"With Matt? He woke up and is breathing on his own."

"What? Really?" Herrmann hugged Gabby. "So glad to hear that. I knew he was gonna be just fine, he's a tough kid."

"He's alive thanks to him," she said, looking at Connor's lifeless face.

"I know. He's gonna be fine, too, trust me. But I think we should let the family know. They-"

"I don't like this," Gabby said, looking at the monitors again. Herrmann looked at her full of worry.

"I'll find somebody."

***

"Prepare the OR, he's bleeding internaly. Call the blood bank," Christina barked orders as soon as she finished examination. Then she looked at Gabby and thanked her. "We need to get moving now."

"Is he strong enough for the operation?" Herrmann asked.

Christina looked him in the eye. "There's no other option, trust me. We just have to hope his heart is strong enough."