Chapter 11

"Excuse me?" an unkown voice said.

"Just one sec," April said, finishing a report on the computer. Then she finally looked up to see who spoke to her.

"My name is Dolan Rhodes. My son is in the ICU."

April recognized him, of course, and for a second she didn't know what to say. She didn't expect him to come, not after overhearing a conversation between Maggie and Connor's sister when she went to visit Kelly and Matt.

Then her professional mode kicked back in and she gave him a smile.

"Let me take you there, Mr. Rhodes."

+++

Jay arrived with food like he promised. Will and him were sitting in the doctor's lounge eating burgers.

"You should've seen him, man. That wasn't an act, he really regreted it," Jay said as he reached for another fry.

"Doesn't change anything about Connor's coma," Will answered, looking at the burger in his hands.

Jay looked at his brother, trying to figure out how he was feeling. Well, how can you feel when you best friend is badly hurt?

"That sure doesn't."

+++

Claire was back in the hospital room with her brother, holding his hand, listening to all the beeping around him. She already told him everything she'd wanted. How she felt after he left and what his return to Chicago meant. So now she was just sitting there, thinking about memories from childhood.

She didn't notice the knock on the door, but when it opened, she turned around. And there he was. Her father. In the room.

"What..." Claire whispered, still holding her brother's hand.

"I went straight to the airport as soon as I you told me what'd happened," Dolan explained, taking a few steps closer to his kids.

"I thought you didn't care," Claire told her father while slowly standing up from the chair.

"How could you think that," he said as he reached for her. He pulled her into a hug. Claire didn't move for a second but then she returned it.

"I'm so glad you're here," she whispered. Then she felt how her father froze.

"Oh my God," he mumbled as he finally looked at his son. "Connor..."

Claire moved to the side so that Dolan could come closer to the bed. She watched as her father almost fell down on his knees. She hadn't seen him this emotional since her mom's funeral.

She helped him sit on the chair as she sat on the edge of the bed, watching her dad studying Connor's pale face.

"He looks like a ghost," Dolan described his son.

"I know. But they said he was stable," Claire explained as she heard a knock on the door. A young female doctor came in with a tired look on her face.

"Hi, my name's Dr. Murin, you must be Connor's sister and father," she said while coming closer to them.

"Nice to meet you," Claire said as they shook hands.

"Rhodes," Dolan introduced himself. "Did you operate on my son?"

"Yes, sir, I did everything I could," Christina said and took the chart. She checked all the monitors and wrote some notes.

"Has something changed?" Claire asked.

"I would've liked to see his numbers improving by now... But they're not worsening either, so that's good."

"Is there anything you can do? I'll pay whatever it takes," Mr. Rhodes said desperately.

"All you can do for him now is what you're already doing. Just be here with him so that he's not alone."