Chapter 4

Christina came to the O.R. and froze. She was called to an emergency surgery and the only thing she saw was the C.T. She didn't have time to talk to anyone.

"Is that doctor Rhodes?" she asked although she knew it was him. Her attending was lying on the operation table. 

"Unfortenately, it is," a nurse answered. "Let's get started."

***

It took two hours before Will heard anything from the O.R. When he finally got the call that it was over, he ran. 

"Dr. Murin," he said when he saw the young doctor. "How did it go?"

"It was a mess," she answered. "He lost a lot of blood. I did everything I could. He coded two times. Damn it," she started to breathe heavily. 

"Hey, hey. Calm down. You're a great surgeon. He survived, right?"

"But he is still critical."

"He's strong, he's gonna fight. Now go home, your shift already ended, am I right?"

"Thank you, doctor Halstead. But I'm probably gonna stay here and keep an eye on him."

***

Maggie came to check on Casey, even though she was an E.R. nurse. He was family. Severide was sitting next to his bed, sleeping. He woke up when she closed the door.

"Hey," he said quietly and gave her a weak smile. 

"Hey. Where's Gabby?" she asked, checking Matt's vitals.

"I convinced her to go home. To take a shower and get some sleep. But I'm pretty sure she'll be back in hour or two."

April smiled. She believed him, those two were so close she was surprised Gabby had left his side for more than ten minutes.

"His vitals okay?" Kelly asked, watching his best friend lying on the hospital bed.

"Yeah, it looks okay. He's stable for now."

"Is Connor still here? I haven't thanked him yet." April froze.

"You haven't heard," she mumled. "He was attacked in the parking lot. He just got out of the O.R."

"Oh my God, how's he?" Kelly couldn't believe it. That man saved his best friend a few hours ago.

"Critical. I'm gonna go check on him in a moment."

"Damn it," Kelly whispered. April came closer to him and gave him a hug. 

"He's a fighter just like Matt. They're both going to pull trough."