Chapter 8

I actually can't believe I'm doing this. I haven't written anything in a very long time so I'm not sure where this is headed, but you know what? I'm gonna give it a shot.

***

"Chicago PD, put your hands where I can see them," Jay yelled at a man in his 50s. The whole unit was there, ready to arrest the man who'd stabbed one of their own.

"I'm so sorry," the man said quietly with both his hands on the back of his head. "I'm so sorry." He was crying.

Jay took out his cuffs and put them on the man's wrists. "You're under arrest for the attempted murder of doctor Connor Rhodes. You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak to an attorney, and to have an attorney present during any questioning."
He helped him stand up and took him to the car.

"Is he alive?" the man asked sergeant Voigt who was waiting by the car. "Please tell me he's alive."

"You better hope so," Voight answered as he shut the car's door.

+++

It was the middle of the night, Matt was laying in the hospital bed, listening to a number of different machines he was hooked up to. He was looking at the ceiling, wondering how the doctor who'd helped save his life was doing.

His love, Gabby, was sitting by his side, half asleep in the most uncomfortable chair in Chicago, if not the whole state of Illinois.

The last person in the room was Kelly who was sleeping in the bed next to Matt's. He didn't even flinch when the room's door opened. One of the ICU nurses came in very quietly with desks in her hand.

Gabby gave her a tired smile once she noticed her.

"Sorry to wake you. Everything okay?"

"Yes, thank you."

Although Matt wasn't sleeping, he was too lost in his thoughts to notice the nurse until Gabby touched his hand.

"Baby, you're not in pain, right?"

He finally turned his head and looked at Gabby and then the brown-haired nurse.

"Yeah, yeah, all good."

"Okay. Let me know if you need anything," she said, leaving the couple. She quickly looked at Kelly's vitals before she left the room.

+++

Will was in a similar stage as Gabby, half asleep in the doctor's lounge. He wanted to be by Connor's side, of course, but he figured that Claire deserved some privacy with her brother.

When she first saw her brother, laying still in the hospital bed, his skin almost the same colour as the white sheets, she broke down. Will had to catch as she would've have fallen on the ground otherwise. He made her company for a few minutes before she put herself together and politely asked Will to give her some time alone with her brother.

She was sitting on a chair very close to her brother's bed, holding his hand while thinking about how it was when they were little.

They used to have a very close relationship but after their mum died, it all changed.

Watching her brother basically fighting for his life made her regret not trying to make amends with him sooner. All she could do now was to hope it wasn't to late.

***

Okay, I made it! I honestly can't believe someone's found this story and actually read it after all this time. Let me know what you think about it and please excuse all the possible mistakes.