Chapter 9: De Nile is a river in Egypt.

Mr Rovere laughed... HE LAUGHED. I mean hollered, leaning forward with a hand on his stomach. I gawked at the man underneath me who was shaking like an autumn leaf from laughter. It looked unnatural to see him laughing like this with his usual stony features, he was trying his best to have a straight face again but his gaze would meet mine and he would burst into small fits of laughter all over again. 

I could feel my face becoming hot as my shock turned into offence at what he found so funny! I was not gay! His continuous fits of chuckles made me pout hard and I smacked his chest, but he just grabbed my wrist before it hit, continuing to chuckle.

"Shut up! I'm not gay! I've dated women before!" I struggled in his grip harder, wiggling around to get off his lap. He eased off of the chuckles and looked at him with a huge shit-eating grin. How did he manage to look like that with such a juvenile expression!? 

He pulled me to the side with the hid in his grip and grabbed my other wrist as well. In only a few seconds, I felt myself falling backwards until I felt my body press into the soft couch. The weight of his upper body was now on top of me with my hips still in his lap. My top half was on the couch and the rest went over his lap, while he only leaned to the side on top of me, still sitting half sitting as he pinned me in place. 

My heart thumped uncontrollably and my lungs screamed for a breath but I couldn't breathe as his face hovered inches over mine. My stomach was a tingling mess and I didn't know what to do or how to respond. He made me feel small and vulnerable, and I never knew how to deal with it. 

"I'm sure you think that, Caro. It's okay. I'll take my time making you realise otherwise." He gave me a little smile, it was still smug but... I don't want to say warm but it was something close. It seemed caring and soft like he was talking to me as if I'd break. 

I didn't know how to respond, my heart wouldn't stop its acceleration and I was trying to search for words when he leaned down and his lips softly pressed under my ear, leaving my skin with the feeling of intense heat. I gasped, seemingly breathing all of the air in all at once. I didn't realise I was still holding my breath. 

I hated this, it scared me... I didn't know what to do. I'd never felt like this and the fear of how my body reacted around him made tears prickle in my eyes. Why am I like this? I sniffled, trying not to cry about such a pathetic thing but he shot back, looking down at me with a look of pure concern. 

In the few weeks I'd known him, I'd never seen that expression. In the years before that, in the news, I'd never seen that look. It made me feel even more pathetic. 

He quickly pulled me up and softly set me on the couch next to him as if to give me space and his hand reached up and caressed my cheek before he looked at me with a fierce glare. 

"What's wrong, Adam?" His English never had an accent, he spoke perfectly... until he said my name. I liked how he said it and that just made me want to run back to my shell even more. 

"N-Nothing..." I whispered out and tried to look away but he just kept my face in place, facing him. I wasn't crying by the way, my eyes were still teary and lips quivery, like the pathetic mess I was, but I wasn't crying. 

"I don't like lies." He spoke with firmness but it was laced with a small hint of concern.

"I'm not lying, something just went into my eyes." I was definitely lying, but I was not going to talk about my insecurities to my boss who was just teasing me. I was not going to be weak, I needed this job, I needed it for Meg and myself. I couldn't be wrapped up in this.

"That sounds like a lie. Is it because of me, did I ma-" before he could finish, Meg and Celests footsteps could be heard, so I jumped back and looked away. Mr Rovere narrowed his eyes at me in a way that told me our talk wasn't over but he got up from in front of me and sat down next to me just as Meg and Celest run into the living room.