Chapter 17: Sol and Måne

I held his hand in my own smaller ones, all the noise and words felt like static. The smell of disinfectant was thick in the air, the constant beeping being the only thing keeping me sane. I looked at the lifeless body on the bed with all the emotions drained from my body as I sat unmoving in the chair next to him. His big hand was cold in my own smaller ones, why did he look like that? Why did he look so weak? The exhaustion was starting to take over as everything seemed to buzz in my head and my arms ached from holding them out but I refused to leave his side. How long had I been sitting here? I didn't know. I wasn't going to move... What if he needed me? 

₊˚ ✧ ‿︵‿୨ 1 Month Earlier ୧‿︵‿ ✧ ₊˚

I sighed happily, nuzzling into Celest's hair as she talked to her friends, I wasn't in a social mood and her bubbly personality was enough for the both of us. My wraps held on to her waist and I softly swayed us both from side to side. I finally looked up to see a pleased Huddy looking down at his wife in his arms as they danced around. I could tell some people around Eman were smitten too, which made me smile. 

With how Celest's brother left with my own, it would be likely that Adam would know the truth about the Rovere family by tomorrow and that made me happy to think that, we could finally talk about it. I hated keeping things from him but Celest had begged me to let Lorenzo do it himself. For grown men, those two acted worse than the other high schoolers in my grade. 

I shook my head softly thinking about it and finally focused back on what Celest and her friends were talking about. She had introduced us, I was paying attention then but since I zoned out after, I'd forgotten all of their names except the pretty brunette. No, I didn't have a crush, she just looked stunning and I was thinking in my head that one of the dresses I'm designing for the summer programme would look great on her. Maybe I could ask Celest if she could ask her friend and then I'd have two models out of the six.

The new school has been hectic but I feel so happy in my life thinking about it, I can't help but feel the need to give Addy a BIG hug. I will when he gets back! What brother would just take their sixteen-year-old sister in? Well, seventeen in three weeks. I plan to get a part-time job soon to get him a present for everything. I'll never admit it but even on the worst days, he was the reason I got through the abuse. 

I remember when he left, he didn't want to leave me behind but the step monster beat him to an inch of his life on the day he turned eighteen, we both sat by the porch crying in each other's arms when our stepbrother came home to see us. He sighed, begrudgingly motioning to his car and then gave us both a ride to the park and left us there. It made me chuckle thinking about it because Jack looked like he had eaten something sour the whole time. He looked like that every time he'd help us and it made us laugh after he'd left. 

I remember how he told me he'd come to get me and we sat at the bench until it got late, I was so little that I held on to his hand, knowing he wouldn't be there to protect me the next day and he just shoved my little face in his chest, telling me he'd be back for me, no matter what.  I was only twelve at the time and it was hard to understand but I knew he didn't want to leave me. I remember the desperation and how many times he came back, week after week, month after month, year after year, to try and get me out but they wouldn't let him. 

He had been trying to fight for custody of me and was building his case for the last few months and he hadn't come to see me because his lawyer had asked him to lower contact and focus on gathering evidence. He needed to get a proper job to show he could support me, I needed to have a house, one he'd bought after working and saving from minimum wage jobs while still being a student. His lawyer told him on the first visit after he left that the house was important and he needed to be able to house me. I knew it was stressful to do while still continuing college. I knew this was why he desperately applied for all of these jobs even with his anxiety.  I remember seeing the eye-bags when he'd come to visit me. I never told him how much I appreciated him and this time, I planned to for his birthday. 

I still feel guilty about coming to him before he had fully built his case, and maybe I could have survived a month longer but I'd never tell Addy that. That idiot would start crying. I shook my head to stop thinking about the past. I needed to focus on the now, beautiful girl in my arms and stop thinking about my brother who was probably snogging his soulmate. 

"What do you think?" Celest asked looking up at me with a bubbly smile. I zoned back in and gave her a sheepish grin, letting her know I was zoned out. She chuckled and I heard her voice in my head. I still wasn't used to this talking through the mind thing, but I didn't jump in surprise this time. "Alsia is proposing we all go out for brunch sometime this week".