Chapter 1. Farewell to Old Friends

It was a small group who attended Ann Sallow's funeral. Her home hamlet, Feldcroft, had never been particularly large, however its populous had moved further afield after the events surrounding her brother's arrest. It appeared that after the loss of Solomon Sallow, the ex-auror, many thought the family to be cursed in more ways than one and after five years, it was only Ann who resided in the hamlet. Her closest friend, Ominis, insisted on doing all he could to watch over his adopted sister; so much so he moved in and became a permanent guest. Together, they lived a quiet and peaceful life until Ann took a turn for the worst and no number of healers could help. Ominis took on the role of carer to ensure her final days were comfortable, then fought tooth and nail to insist that she be buried alongside her parents in the family tomb near Milton Keynes. Not one of her old neighbours who she had supported during the rise of Ranrok's rebellion, agreed to attend.

The weather had been overcast as they'd entered the church, as Ominis took to the podium, the clouds gathered outside ready to wash away mushc of December's residual snow. Ominis looked out over the pitiful group who had attended. Ann deserved so much more than this, for all the pure kindness she had offered him throughout her short life, Ominis was frustrated he could not have celebrated her life with more of her old friends. Steadying both his nerves and sorrow, Ominis cleared his throat to address the gathered.
"As some of you here will know, Ann was a dear, dear friend of mine. We were both sorted into Slytherin house, alongside..." he hesitated, swallowing a bitter lump in his throat; "alongside her twin brother, Sebastian. All three of us together, were a trio unlike any other. We were the rebels without cause."
Some delicate murmurs of agreement met these words, from a few of the mourners. Ominis gleaned confidence somewhat from knowing Professor Weasley sat close to the back of the room. While he couldn't see her, she had assured him that she would be sat toward the rear of the hall, ready to walk by his side to the tomb. Matilda Weasley had her head bowed low, dabbing regularly at her eyes. Her dark, maroon witches hat obscured much of her face, but her flaming red hair poking out from under the rim relayed it was her.
"Toward Ranrok's rise, Ann interrupted a gathering of goblins and dark wizards and was cursed, by Rookwood. To this day, we still do not know what that curse was, but it was enough to condemn Ann. Just one innocent child. So cruel. Since that day, Ann remained in Feldcroft, being cared for by her uncle Solomon, until his untimely death; receiving glimmers of hope from her brother, Sebastian; until his..." another pause. Ominis sighed, how much tragedy could one family experience in so short a space of time? "Until his arrest. From that day on, Ann and I remained closely tied. We lived together and very soon I discovered that while I had insisted on ensuring her the best comfort and care; she was providing so much more for me. Ann was a powerful, fierce, and devoted friend. I will never experience such a friendship as hers, in this lifetime at least..."

So saying, Ominis nodded to the priest, who began the sermon of final rights. Everyone bowed their head as the soprano who Ominis had hired, sang out Ann's favourite poem from Dulcibella Philbert's collection. Her voice filled the cold church hall with warmth. For all of a moment, Ominis felt his heart swell as he listened to the lyrics:

You are as dear to me as an Augurey,
Whose voice foretells the coming rain.
You are as loved by me as a Crup could be -
Whose loyalty is true and plain.
You have cast a spell over my heart,
I want it not undone;
You have charmed me from the very start.
You have always been the one.

As Ann's coffin was lifted by the ushers and carried out of the church to the Sallow's family tomb, the assembled group slowly rose to their feet, and each bowed their head as the coffin was carried by. One by one, each member shuffled behind the ushers, creating a serpentine like path toward Ann's final resting place. Finally, after what seemed like an immeasurable amount of time for Ominis, the tomb's doors closed on his dear friend.