Chapter 3: "Rain" vs Samson

I own nothing.
Chapter 3: The Forest Dwellers

Riding high from Yugi's victory over Weevil, the group was heading north to find more duelists. Okay, more so, they were following Rain who was the only one who knew how to navigate the woods. As they went, she, Yugi, and Joey tried to figure out what monsters would receive a field bonus on what terrain.
"I'm telling you, it makes logical sense." Rain insisted. "Meadows are open terrain, so they'd be perfect for warrior types."
"I'm not buying it." Joey tried to argue. "Meadow ain't exactly what I think of when I see warriors."
"No, she has a point, Joey." Yugi interjected. "Wide open terrain would make maneuverability simple for weapon wielders, so it would make sense they'd get a field bonus."
"Aw, come on, Yugi, can't you back me up?"
Tea rolled her eyes. "Maybe you shouldn't try to match wits with someone like Rain to begin with."
Rain ignored the indirect compliment as she tried to analyze the other possibilities. "It could also be that some monsters wouldn't get a bonus at all. Either way, I think you should really stick to the meadow, Joey. From what you told me, it's where your deck would best fit."
"What about you, Rain?" The blonde asked.
"Well-,"
"Most of Rain's monsters are beasts, so she's better off in the woods." A voice called.
Someone stepped onto the path, blocking their way. However, unlike the obnoxious Weevil, this competitor had a bright smile on his face. Rain lit up at the sight of him.
"Samson!"
The two high fived in greeting.
Tristan gave them a look. "You two know each other?"
"Course we do. Guys, this is Samson. He happens to be a Wayfarer descendant like me. My family spent time at his place in Egypt last year. Sammy, these are Yugi, Joey, Tristan, and Tea, my new friends."
"Nice to meet you." Yugi greeted, holding out a hand.
Samson took it. "Didn't think I'd get to meet the Yugi Muto. It's an honor. Nice to meet you all as well."
Tea smiled back. "Likewise."
"Nice running into a duelist who's friendly." Tristan said, confusing the newcomer.
"Uh..."
"Weevil Underwood." (Y/N) explained.
The dark eyed boy nodded. "Ah."
"So, you and Rain are family, Samson?" Joey asked.
"Kinda. I doubt we have any close blood, but we do descend from the same tribe, so that makes us family."
"Man, if all you magic folk think like that, you guys gotta have some massive family reunions."
Rain chuckled. "If the Wayfarers had a family reunion, it's usually a bad sign."
"How so?" Tea asked.
"Probably means the end of the world." They all looked at Samson with wide eyes. "Don't look spooked. It's just superstition."
"I thought you were finally a believer after that incident last year."
"Don't even."
"What happened last year-?" Tristan tried to ask before being cut off.
"We don't speak of it!"
Rain grinned. "I read a probably cursed inscription out loud, got us trapped in ruins, and I had play an ancient board game in order to save Sammy, my gramps, and our guide from getting eaten by a monster. He's...still in denial."
"I told you, we were hallucinating."
"Yeah, we all hallucinated the same thing. Why don't you just admit that maybe us passing down all those histories and stories about magic was for a reason?"
Samson pouted, causing the others to chuckle nervously. Yugi, ever the friendly type, tried to calm the awkwardness.
"So, Samson, how come you're here?"
The boy stopped his pout. "Well, I did manage to scrape a win in a tournament after Rain kicked my butt all summer, and I guess that I caught Pegasus's eye somehow."
"Don't be like that." Tea argued. "I'm sure you're a great duelist!"
"Nah. I'm a novice compared to Rain here. I think the only reason Pegasus invited me was because I'm a descendant of the Wayfarers."
"What's that got to do with it?" Joey asked as his friends started to get nervous.
"Rumors are going around that Pegasus has been trying to get information out of a few of the branches."
"Oh yeah." Rain said. "Remember when I told you guys I met Pegasus before? Well, he was at our house arguing with my gramps over something. Then I walked in and he was super interested in me because of the Millennium Bracelet."
The others looked at each other uncomfortably. Considering Rain spoke of the event so calmly, it was likely that nothing too sinister had happened, but it was cause for concern.
"Do you know what he wanted?" Yugi asked.
"I think he was interested in the Millennium Items or something. Whatever it was, it really set off Gramps."
Samson rubbed his chin. "That lines up. From what I heard, Pegasus went snooping about their abilities and possible locations. I heard he even tried to find out about the Millennium Tome."
Rain's eyes widened. "But that thing got torched centuries ago, in secret. How did Pegasus know about it?"
"Beats me."
"Whatcha guys on about?" Joey interjected.
Rain blushed bashfully. "Oh, sorry guys. Wayfarer business."
"Mind sharing with the group?" Tristan asked.
Samson shook his head. "Sorry. Wayfarers might be knowledge seekers, but we're forbidden from talking about certain things. The 7 Millennium Items are part of that."
"Wait, Rain, you were willing to tell us about the Millennium Items earlier." Yugi pointed out as Samson spun at her.
"Seriously? You're the superstitious one and YOU told them about that?!"
"I didn't tell them a lot. Besides, the knowledge is forbidden except under specific circumstances, and Yugi just so happens to be those specific circumstances."
"What do you mean?" The boy asked.
Rain pointed at what was around his neck. "You have the Millennium Puzzle, ergo, we're bound to teach you about it so you can use the power without causing untold chaos."
"Of course you somehow manage to run into another person with a Millennium Item!" Samson groaned. "I assume this is only fueling your end of days theory."
"Hey, it's not my fault the pieces are lining up!"
"Um, guys?" Tea jumped in. "This is super interesting to hear about, but there is a time limit for the tournament."
Both Wayfarers were a little bashful at her obvious statement and backed off from each other.
Rain cleared her throat. "So, Sammy, I'm guessing you want a rematch?"
He smiled. "Yeah, I figured if I'm gonna get knocked out, it might as well be by you. I want to see how far I've come."
"All right. I accept your challenge. Don't disappoint me."
Nearby, an arena rose up as the two took their place. Yugi, Joey, Tristan, and Tea all began to cheer for their new friend.
"Go, Rain!" Yugi yelled.
Joey chimed in. "Show us what you're made of!"
Tea felt a little bad for Samson, who was completely left out. "Do your best, both of you!"
As Rain took her spot and readied her deck, she called to (Y/N) mentally.
"(Y/N), I want you to take over for this duel."
The spirit appeared beside her, perplexed. "Are you certain? You usually are adverse to me battling friendly duelists."
"That's not it. We still don't know anything about the spirit in the puzzle. He definitely could see you in your spirit form though. I'm wondering if we could get a reaction from him by having you duel."
"Hmm...that does seem plausible. I am curious myself. I find myself thinking more and more that he's...familiar."
"Do you think he has something to do with your past?"
"I don't see any other possibilities. Let's do it."
"Hey, Rain, you gonna start or what?" Samson called from across the field.
Rain closed her eyes and nodded. When she reopened them, (Y/N) was now in control.
"Sorry, just thinking to myself. Let's duel!"