Chapter 31: Rain vs Marik

Once again, OC duels.
I own nothing.
Chapter 31: Wrath of Ra vs the Fury of the Forest

Yugi was humming quite the merry tune as the rest of the group headed up to see who would be chosen to duel Rain, bouncing on the balls of his feet. They all looked at him knowingly, Serenity and Tea smiling and giggling at how sweet it was, and the guys all looking like they wanted to take a playful jab.
"Someone's in a good mood." Tea noted with a smile. "I take it the talk went well?"
"Oh, you could say that." Yugi replied, refusing to elaborate.
Joey smirked, putting his hands behind his head. "Hey, Yug, where'd ya jacket go?"
"Where it needs to be." He answered, strolling out the elevator without a second glance.
That made everyone double take. They had never seen Yugi so on top of the world.
"We sure that was Yugi and not the Pharaoh?" Tristan asked as Serenity squealed.
"I think it's so romantic! Yami and (Y/N) are lovers who found each other again, and Yugi and Rain also have feelings for each other! It's like a romance novel!"
"Well, if you're looking for romance, Serenity-,"
Joey shot Duke a stink eye. "Watch it, Devlin."
"Yeah, show some respect!" Tristan piled in as Joey crossed his arms.
"That means you too."
Yami appeared beside Yugi who was still in his spectacular mood, smiling as he saw just how happy his partner was.
"If I can make a suggestion: perhaps you should take this moment to tell Rain your feelings? At least while you're walking on air?"
"Baby steps, Yami." Yugi immediately shot back. "Let me enjoy this."
The Pharaoh immediately backed off and let Yugi have his victory. He knew that eventually he or Rain would work up the courage to confess. He just prayed it wouldn't take a life threatening and traumatizing event to bring that on like it had for him. Eventually, they all reached the main hub, Rain standing next to the machine with Roland and Mokuba on the other side. Kaiba almost immediately gave Yugi a dirty look, likely because Rain was in fact wearing his jacket with a smile on her face. Joey, Duke, and Tristan looked prepared to mercilessly tease their shorter companion, but Tea and Serenity immediately shut that down. Yugi just brightly smiled back at her, with both their spirit partners looking amused with this whole situation. Unfortunately, the entire mood died as the doors opened again and Rain glared at the person who entered. Yugi didn't even need to turn to know it was Marik who walked in, unconsciously clenching his fists as the male lurked in the back. Joey was less suddenly, glaring daggers at Marik while being held back by Duke and Tristan.
"Let's get this over with." Kaiba ordered.
Roland nodded. "We will only have one draw to determine who will be Ms. (L/N) opponent for a spot in the semifinals. This draw will be pulled from the victors to keep an even number of duelists for the final rounds of the tournament. Remember your numbers. Now, begin!"
The machine whirled to life and began to shuffle the balls when Yugi felt dread seep into him. At that moment, the lot was drawn: number 5.
"Duelist Number 5, Marik Ishtar, will be Rain (L/N)'s opponent. Duelists, to the field."
The friend group was all horrified as Yami Marik was quite pleased with this outcome, sending the Wayfarer a threatening smirk. Rain only glared back at him, refusing to back down from this challenge. He then stalked to the elevator as Yugi looked over at Kaiba.
"Kaiba, don't do this! You can't let Rain duel Marik! You saw what he did to Mai!"
"Calm down, will you?" Kaiba snapped, rolling his eyes. "Rain is here because of her own skill. I'm surprised you have so little confidence in her abilities."
"That's not what I'm worried about!"
"Yugi, it's fine." Rain insisted. "It's better if I'm the one who faces Marik. I'm the only one with a counter to the Millennium Rod."
"Rain, protecting us from Ra almost killed you." Tea pointed out. "Besides, you heard what Ishizu told you. Marik's darkness is out to kill you!"
"He what?" Mokuba said as the Wayfarer shook her head.
"He can try, but I'm not so easy to get rid of. I'll be okay."
Yugi and Yami were both absolutely against this, but before they could further protest, Joey stepped in.
"Stormy, you show that creep who's in charge. Ya got it?"
She smirked. "Gladly."
"Joey!" Serenity protested as her brother crossed his arms.
"Guys, Stormy and (Y/N) are as clever and tough as they come. If anyone can put Marik in his place, it's those two. If Stormy says they can take him down, I say we trust her."
No one else wanted this to happen given what had happened to Mai and Yami Marik had a reason to try and kill Rain, but the expression on the Wayfarer's face proved her mind was set. Still, she gave a comforting smile as she walked towards the elevator.
"Don't worry, guys. I'm going anywhere. Promise."
The doors then closed and Rain then let out a nervous sigh. Despite her confident facade, of course she was nervous to duel against this murderous maniac, but this was something she had to do. She turned, facing the doors that would open to the dueling arena.
"(Y/N), let me take the lead on this."
Her partner appeared behind her. "Rain, no. It's too dangerous."
"I have to test something."
"And risk your life? Absolutely not! This isn't the time to play games!"
"I'm not playing." Rain shot back. "I need to know for sure if Marik, the real Marik, is still in there. If he is, I'm the only one who might be able to reach him, but it has to be me. Just let me try."
"...if I think the duel is becoming too dangerous, we switch immediately. Understood?"
She smiled. "Deal. Thanks, (Y/N)."
The female spirit sighed. "I hope you know what you're doing."
"Yeah, me too."
The doors opened and Rain stepped out into the night sky, Yami Marik waiting for her on the other side of the field. The others filed out as the two duelists glared down each other. Yami, who was now in control, crossed his arms as Yugi appeared beside him, panicked.
"Why is Rain still in control? Shouldn't (Y/N) have already taken over!?"
Yami glanced, seeing his wife appeared beside her vessel. He motioned his head to Rain, asking what was going on. She shook her head before vanishing again.
Yami sighed. "It seems they have a plan. Yugi, I'm just as worried about them as you are, but Joey is right. We need to trust them."
"...I know."
"Is the great Wayfarer Queen so afraid she sends her servant to fight her place?" Yami Marik mocked, grinning sadistically.
Rain smirked back. "You're the one who made this personal. I'm not gonna make (Y/N) clean up my problems, so you have me to deal with."
"How brave for a Wayfarer who hasn't earned her sigil. I'd start begging the Queen for help. You have no idea the horrors that await you."
"Really? From where I'm standing, seems like you're more afraid of me than (Y/N)."
That made the dark spirit grit his teeth and growl, raising the Millennium Rod up in a threatening manner, Rain responding with raising the Millennium Bracelet, which glowed.
"Ah ah, don't even think about it. This is no Shadow Game. You're playing without your tricks."
Yami Marik smirked once more. "Are you certain? My powers were a bit much for you and the Queen last time."
"Ra's power, you mean." Rain corrected. "I've had the Millennium Bracelet longer than you've had the Millennium Rod, so I'm game to match you, and if it means we both get burnt out, I'm willing to take you down with me."
Marik looked like he wanted to murder her on the spot, but Rain held her ground, her resolve strengthened by the presence of her spirit partner and, oddly enough, the scent of Yugi's jacket, which she was still wearing.
"Duelists, approach and shuffle." Roland ordered as the two approached.
Everyone tensed as the opponents came within reaching distance of each other, Yami digging his fingers into his arms as they traded off decks and shuffled, neither of them breaking eye contact. When the deed was done, they returned the decks, but as Rain turned to walk back, Marik grabbed her arm. Yami tried to surge forward instinctively, but shockingly, it was Joey who stopped him.
"I get it, man, but let Stormy do her thing."
Yami growled, but nodded, turning to watch the scene unfold. Yami Marik glared down at Rain, but the Wayfarer did not flinch or speak, her eyes alone daring him to try something as both their Millennium Items glowed. Rain could feel (Y/N) barely stopping herself from forcing a switch and from the corner her eyes, she could see Yami and Yugi also struggling not intervene. Fortunately, Roland was still the ref.
"Mr. Ishtar, you have 5 seconds to remove your hands from Ms. (L/N) or you will be disqualified!"
"No tricks, girl." He growled.
Rain huffed. "Like you have room to talk."
The dark spirit released her arm and the two marched away to their respective sides of the field, (Y/N) waiting for her there.
"One more like that, Rain."
"I know, and I won't fight you. Just let me do this."
"Duelists, prepare your decks." Both duelists drew their hands as Roland raised his. "Begin!"