Chapter 10: Creator vs Champion

I own nothing.
Chapter 10: Self-Fulfilling Prophecy

The gang raced each other to the castle's entrance, Yugi's face fixed with a determined expression. The guard attempted to turn them away, but quickly shut up as Yugi, Mai, and Joey showed off their Star Chips, complying when a voice in his ear piece informed him that Rain was also allowed in, even without the necessary chips. He again tried to turn the others away, but a quick misdirect from Mai left him completely locked out.
Joey smirked and brushed off his hands as he locked the door. "Hmm, and that's that."
"Mai, any restaurant of your choosing, it's on me." Rain said as she high fived the older girl, hearing the goon demand entry and insult them from the outside.
Yugi chuckled at the girl's vindictiveness before turning to run down the hall. "There's no time to waste!"
"Aye aye, captain." Rain said as she followed after him.
Joey also agreed. "You heard the man. Let's go!"
They all ran through the corridors, Rain trying to recognize the halls from before to find Pegasus's throne room, only for them to come to a skidding halt as they saw someone in front of them gazing down a balcony at a lower floor."
"Bandit Keith." Joey growled.
Said delinquent heard them and glanced over at them. "Well, what do ya know? If it isn't big, tough Joey and his crew of duelin' dummies."
"You slime bucket!" Joey shot back. "I've been waitin' to find you!"
Joey charged the bigger guy, but Bandit Keith easily weaved through the blonde's punches, before grabbing his hand.
"Can't this little grudge of yours wait?"
"You wish, ya creep!"
"Okay. Suit yourself, but the real action's about to start."
Rain raised a brow at him. "Real action?"
Keith motioned to the bottom floor and everyone glanced over to see Kaiba making his way to a dueling field.
"Yeah, the world champ and Pegasus." Keith explained as Yugi and Rain gripped the railing, both angry. "I'd hoped to get first crack at the old man myself, but you know they save the biggest match for last."
"Wait a minute." Mai cut in. "Are you saying those two are gonna duel?"
"That is correct." A new voice said as another suited goon came out from the hall behind them. "Welcome, finalists, I'm Croquet, Chief Tournament Liaison. Congratulations on making it this far. Pegasus is quite taken with all of your dueling talents. In fact, he's so impressed, he wanted to reward you with some entertainment: a special exhibition match. I think you'll all be quite in awe of what you're about to see. This match should give you an idea of what's in store for all of you."
"So basically, it's meant to intimidate us, huh?" Mai asked. "Why would Pegasus so something like that?"
"'Cause he's a grade-A nutcase." Joey answered.
"And a lover of power trips." Rain added.
Croquet only chuckled and turned away. "Enjoy the match."
They all turned back to watch as Rain bit her nail.
"This isn't going to end well."
(Y/N) appeared beside her. "You said it yourself, Rain: Kaiba chose this path himself."
"I know what I said." She sighed. "Doesn't mean I wanna watch him go down in flames."
"Rain?" Yugi asked.
"Oh, sorry I was-," She stopped as she realized she didn't need to lie anymore. "I was talking to her."
Yugi gave her an uneasy expression, probably still having thoughts about his own counterpart. Joey overheard them and promptly changed the subject once he was sure Mai wasn't paying attention. "Say, Rain, that spirit friend of yours."
"(Y/N)."
"Yeah, her. What's she like, anyways?"
Rain gave him a look. "What do you mean? You guys have met her. Maybe not to your knowledge, but she's been showing up plenty of times."
"Well, we see her when you duel or when we're in trouble, but we don't know much about her." Tea pointed out.
"I guess so. For now, I can tell you (Y/N) is loyal to a fault and downright terrifying if you cross her."
"Yeah, we got that." Tristan said. "I think they were talking more personality wise."
"Oh, well, she might look all calm and composed on the outside, but she is a snark, through and through. Gods help you if you give her even an ounce of ammunition."
"Uh oh, you better steer clear, Joey." Tea joked.
"Hey, what's that supposed to mean?"
Rain laughed before looking down at her hands. "It wasn't easy at first, but now I know (Y/N)'s always gonna have my back."
Yugi didn't say anything, glancing away. (Y/N) might be like that, but his spirit might not be. The conversation was cut short as the door opposite to Kaiba opened, revealing Pegasus, who smirked.
"Bastard." Rain growled under her breath.
"Where's my brother?" Kaiba demanded.
"What? No hello? No, how are you?" Pegasus taunted. "I thought we were friends, Kaiba-boy. Don't tell me that my kidnapping Mokuba and seizing control of your company has put a rift between us. It was nothing personal. Besides, it's not like I hurt your kid brother. He's perfectly safe. In fact, you can have him back if you'd like. Just beat me in a duel, like we agreed and I'll hand him over. I mean, one little victory shouldn't be a problem for the Duel Monsters World Champion."
Yugi studied Pegasus's expression, seeing the glint from his Millennium Eye from under his hair. From what Rain had told them about that particular item, it was gonna cause serious problems for Kaiba.
"Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm not hopin' Kaiba loses this duel." Joey said. "I still say he's a first-class jerk for everything he put us through, but I can't help but feel for him, tryin' to get back his kid brother."
"You're not wrong." Rain said somberly. "About any of it."
Yugi saw her fidget uncomfortably and felt stupid he hadn't realized it sooner. Despite what she had told Kaiba before, Rain was still close enough that Kaiba hadn't acted against her when she punched him, and they clearly knew some personal stuff about each other if their argument was anything to believe. Plus, she clearly cared about Mokuba. Yugi placed his hand on top of hers and she didn't pull away.
"Rain, are you okay with this?"
She sighed. "I told him he was on his own, and I meant it."
"Doesn't mean you don't have to feel bad."
Rain didn't say anything, neither of them moving.
Yugi glanced down and thought. "Kaiba, I hope you've learned to fight with your heart and your head. Not just for your sake, but Rain's too."
Pegasus glanced away. "Come now, Kaiba. It's so gauche to keep us in suspense, especially with an audience waiting in the wings."
Kaiba looked and was surprised to see the group looking down at him. Rain glanced away.
"Kaiba." Yugi greeted in her place.
"Yugi! How could you be in here after I defeated you?"
"I had some help." He smiled at Mai and then glanced back at Rain.
Kaiba gave her a hard look before the girl held up her glove, showing the incomplete set. The older male blinked at her in shock.
"Rain! You gave up-,"
"Some things are more important than a stupid game, Kaiba!" She snapped, glancing back at him.
Pegasus was quite amused with all this. "I hope you're ready, Kaiba. I've been looking forward to this for quite some time."
Kaiba pulled out his briefcase, grabbing the same duel disk he had used against Joey and Yugi.
"Good." He tossed one over to Pegasus, who studied it with great interest. "Then you'll have no problem dueling with this. Well?"
The adult seemed genuinely surprised, but toyed with the machine. "You want to duel me with your latest contraption? But I don't even know how this silly device even works. Do I spin it like a top, or roll it like a ball?"
"Cut the theatrics!"
"Ohhh!" Pegasus said condescendingly. "Kaiba means business. Okay then, how about we settle this like businessmen would? I'll agree to use your system if you agree to a request that I have."
"What?"
"Nothing that will change the game, of course. I just want someone else to operate your little device for me."
"I smell a rat." Keith growled from his new spot, far from the group.
Pegasus chuckled at the accusation. "I assure you, I'll still make all the strategic decisions. The game play won't change at all."
"So why the request?" Kaiba demanded. "Why not fight your own battle for once in your life?"
Pegasus smiled sinisterly before clapping his hand. "Show Kaiba the lad who'll play as my pawn, and he'll understand my request."
The doors opened, and everyone gasped as a chained up Mokuba was led inside.
"Mokuba!" Rain and Kaiba yelled.
"Something's wrong." Yugi noted, seeing the far off look in the young boy's eyes.
"It's like he's been hypnotized." Tea said.
Rain shook, grabbing her shoulder with her free hand. "It's worse than that. Pegasus took his soul."
They all looked at her in shock. "What?"
"After I got separated from you guys, the tunnel I went down led me to the castle. Pegasus showed me Mokuba...and then he tried to do the same to me."
Yugi's hand tightened around hers.
"Rain, why didn't tell us!?" Bakura demanded, very much concerned. "Are you hurt!?"
"I'm fine, clearly. And I did tell you."
"Vaguely!" Tea shot back. "You said something happened, you didn't say Pegasus tried to take your soul!"
"Not like he could have. The Millennium Bracelet protects me from dark attacks. Plus, I'm pretty sure (Y/N) came pretty close to giving Pegasus hell."
"She should of!" Joey yelled, glaring down at the older male. "That creep didn't even give you a fight? He just ambushed you!?"
"Joey, let it go." Rain insisted. "I'm okay. I knew it was a trap and walked into it."
"Doesn't make it okay." The blonde grumbled.
Pegasus ignored the death glares from the peanut gallery in favor of heckling Kaiba.
"I apologize if he doesn't seem quite like himself, but I happen to find that the captives I keep are far easier to manage after I've made an extraction of sorts."
"You monster!" Kaiba yelled.
"Oh, Rain over there said the same." Pegasus chuckled before pulling out the card containing Mokuba's soul. "Now, now, Kaiba-boy, petty insults aren't the way to get your brother's soul back."
"What's with all this soul talk?" Mai asked.
"I'll tell you later." Rain said.
Pegasus laughed. "I told you, your little brother was perfectly safe, and he is, but how long he remains that way is up to you. Beat me in a duel, and I'll release him as promised. But fail, and not only will his soul remain in bondage, but yours will join it."
"Beat you?" Kaiba repeated. "I'll crush you!"
One of the goons then handed Mokuba the dueling device. "So it's settled. We'll use your new invention, but your brother will operate it for me."
Kaiba's eyes widened. "Wait! Pegasus!"
"What's the matter, Kaiba-boy? This was your idea. Using your own system is sure to give you quite the advantage. What's the problem?"
Kaiba looked down, shaking. "He's been through enough already."
"Well, if you don't want to duel Mokuba..." Pegasus smirked up at the gallery. "Rain, care to be my champion instead?"
"Now you wanna drag Rain into this!?" Tristan yelled.
Rain seethed down at the crazed man. "Dream on, Pegasus! I'm done playing your sick games!"
"Oh, Rain, I'd reconsider. After all, you wouldn't want anything bad happening to your grandfather, would you?"
"Nice try. We both know if you managed to catch my gramps, you would've been parading him off to me. You're never gonna catch him, Pegasus!"
"On the contrary, I'm more than certain the old man would show his face if members of his tribe started getting hurt, like say, Avaria's family, or perhaps your friend Samson?"
Rain gritted her teeth. "You psychopath! You leave them alone!"
"Enough!" Kaiba yelled. "I make it a point not to cross loyal business partners. We won't use it."
"Kaiba..."
"I already made it clear, Rain. This is my business. We'll duel on your terms, Pegasus. Just keep both of them out of this."
"So rather than duel an empty shell or a girl you claim is simply a business partner with the device you perfected, you'll give me the home field advantage. Fine with me. Take him away."
Mokuba was dragged off.
"Creep." Kaiba growled.
"Watch yourself, Kaiba, you're in my world now." Pegasus snapped his fingers as the bridge they were on separated, making room for the arena that came down from the ceiling.
"This should be good." Mai said. "The two biggest legends in Duel Monsters going at it? This is what it's all about."
Once the field was ready, both males stepped up.
"Ready, Kaiba?" Pegasus asked. "Your brother's fate hangs in the balance."
"Kaiba!" Yugi yelled. "You gotta believe in the heart of the cards! It's the only way to rescue Mokuba!"
"Keep out of this!" The brunette snarled back. "I'm fighting this duel my way."
"Kaiba, please listen to him!" Rain insisted before Yugi jumped back in.
"Just remember, it'll take more than a strong monster and clever strategies to win this! That Millennium Eye Pegasus has changed everything. You have to-,"
"Yug, don't forget Kaiba's the guy who took your stars." Joey pointed out.
"I know. But I also know what it's like to be dueling for someone you care about, and I couldn't live with myself if I held back on anything that could help Kaiba get his brother back!"
Rain squeezed Yugi's hand, now trying to comfort him.
Kaiba glanced away. "Yugi, you're a good duelist, but I don't need your help. It's my battle to fight now, and I will win."
Pegasus chuckled. "Poor fool. He needs all the help that he can get."
"We've known each other for a long time, and now we'll see if the master is the Duel Monsters creator or champion! You have nowhere left to hide, Pegasus!"
"Time to duel!" They both declared.