Chapter 30: Mind Games and the Tomb Keeper's Secret

I own nothing.
Chapter 30: Mind Games

After what felt like seconds, (Y/N) slowly began to regain control of her senses. She felt warm, her body was laid against something plush, and her head was supported by something equally as so. It didn't take a genius to realize she was likely in a bed, but in addition to the warmth it provided, she also felt her hand being held. Feeling the dull throb of her head drew her from her unconsciousness, (Y/N) began to open her eyes. For a moment, she saw Yami and the room as they were in their past: a well adorned prince who was at her side, but as her vision focused, his form reverted to the present day, and they were both in Rain's room. His eyes were closed, likely having drifted off after remaining at her side for who knew how long, yet despite the softer expression, (Y/N) could tell it was in fact her husband in control. He groaned as he too began to wake up, likely feeling (Y/N) stir from their intertwined hands.
"Yami?" The former queen groaned, her throat feeling parched.
Yami immediately woke up.
"(Y/N)!" The former Pharaoh embraced her as (Y/N) tucked her head under his chin, letting the steady beat of his heart further wake her up. "Are you all right?"
"More or less." She answered, breaking off the hug and sitting up. "What happened?"
"You lost consciousness after blocking Ra's attack and Marik's darkness awoke. Do you remember any of it?"
"Vividly. How's Joey and Odion?"
"Joey's fine. The attack didn't leave him with permanent damage. As for Odion..." Yami shook his head. "He's still unconscious. The doctor says physically he's fine, but-,"
"His mind's trapped in the Shadow Realm." (Y/N) realized, clenching her fist. "That fool. Rain warned him not to summon the counterfeit. I don't even want to think what would've happened if I hadn't-,"
(Y/N) flinched, her headache intensifying for a moment. Yami reached for her nightstand, grabbing a glass of water and a pair of pills.
"Here." He insisted, handing her both. "This should help with the pain."
"Thank you." She said, downing both the pills and water as Yami sat on the edge of the bed, holding her hand again.
"I'm more concerned about you and Rain. You both took the full force of Ra's attack by yourselves and it clearly had devastating effects."
"Not as much as they would've been without the bracelet, obviously, but that raw power...I honestly didn't know if the shield would've held out for a moment longer." She admitted before Yami took both her hands, looking her deeply in the eyes.
"Shagngu...whatever happens in this tournament going forward, do not try that again."
"What!?"
"You were able to stop the attack this time, but next time you may not be as fortunate!"
"Rain and I are the only ones capable of minimizing the damage! I can't just stand aside and let others get hurt."
"And if it kills you both!?" Yami said, his voice laced with a desperation she had never heard from him before. "What good would it do for the world if you're gone!? Yugi and I can't do this without you and Rain, I can't do this without you!"
"Yami..."
"I..." He took a deep breath. "I can't lose you again. I nearly lost you when we were children, and then I did lose to Bakura. I'm not strong enough to do it again, (Y/N). I can't..."
(Y/N) squeezed his hands in empathy before placing her hands on his cheeks. Yami was confused for a moment before (Y/N) gently pushed her lips against his. The kiss was chaste and short, filled with reassurance and comfort, but it also felt like a breath that both of them were holding in that finally released. Yami wanted to deepen the kiss, if only a little, but he didn't feel now was the time. When the two broke apart, (Y/N) placed her forehead against his.
"I'll keep saying it as many times as you need me to: I'm not going anywhere. There is no place on this earth that you could go that I wouldn't follow you to. I promise. I love you, and nothing will change that."
Yami smiled softly at her and the two embraced again. The coms then went live, announcing that it was time to choose the next duelists. (Y/N) tried to move to get up, but it was obvious she was still unsteady. Yami placed a hand on her shoulder.
"Stay here and keep resting."
"And if we're chosen to duel?"
"Then I'll come get you, but you need all of your strength. Knowing Kaiba's soft spot for Rain, he won't argue."
(Y/N) huffed a laugh before nodding. As Yami got up to leave, he placed a tender kiss on her forehead and walked out, leaving the former queen blushing. Left alone, Rain then appeared, looking quite smug.
"Well, that was bold of you."
"My head hurts enough without your input." (Y/N) snapped.
Rain laughed but then brushed it off. "Switch then. We both felt that hit from Ra, but I think I'm in better shape right now than you. You need the healing more than me."
(Y/N) sighed. "I think I'll take you up on the offer."