Chapter 23: Mime Control

I own nothing.
Chapter 23: Mime Control

After assuring Yugi, Rain, and their spirit partners were all safe, the two teens suggested Tristan, Tea, and Grandpa go look for Joey, concerned the Rare Hunters might go after him again. Left alone again, the duo wandered back out into the city, keeping a look out for any of Marik's minions. They eventually found themselves at the river, right under the bridge, staring at their reflections in the water.
"Marik keeps talking about wanting the 'Power of the Pharaoh and the Wayfarer Queen', but you and (Y/N) are the Pharaoh and the Wayfarer Queen." Yugi said as the duo conversed with their partners. "If you two really had all this power inside you, don't you think that we would know about it?"
"Not necessarily." (Y/N) answered, standing on Rain's left side. "Our lost memories are a natural hindrance. If you don't know what you're looking for, it's easy to miss something entirely."
Rain jumped in. "Even so, we do have the legends. You and Yami saved the world before...we just don't know what exactly happened."
Yami nodded. "It is rather unclear. Legends do become less descriptive as time goes on, so there is only so much we can gleam from them, and though I am grateful to have them back, mine and (Y/N)'s shared memories are too sporadic to rely on."
"Well, we know that Marik's family's been protecting your tomb for years, and for some reason, he got this crazy that he deserved to be the Pharaoh instead of you." Yugi glanced over at his female friend. "Rain, is there any chance that any Wayfarers know about his family? Maybe a branch living in Egypt? If we know more about them, it could help."
"Oh, good point!" Rain agreed with a smile. "Marik knew about how Wayfarers conduct our business, so maybe someone over there knows something! I'll call up gramps to start digging. Though, in the meantime, we have to do everything we can to make sure Marik doesn't get what he wants."
"As long as he can't defeat us in a duel, he can't take our Millennium Items or their hidden powers. Destiny brought the four of us together, I'm sure of it. We share bonds between us." Yugi then turned to Yami. "No matter what, we're going to help you both save the world again."
Rain grinned and nodded, turning to (Y/N). "You two may have only had each other to rely on 5000 years ago, but you've got us this time. Not only us, but all of our friends too."
Both spirits smiled at their vessel.
"Thank you both." Yami said as (Y/N) nodded.
"Your friendship and trust mean a great deal to us. Regardless of what may come, I'm certain we'll be able to overcome it together."
"We'll find out about your pasts and stop Marik's plan." Yugi vowed, only to look down a bit nervously. "I just hope that I'm strong enough to hold my own."
"What are you talking about, Yugi?" Rain asked. "You've already proven how strong you are! You faced down the Shadow Realm and came out! You're one of the strongest people I know!"
Yugi blushed, rubbing his head. "I was only able to do that because you came to help me, Rain."
"Oh, I told you already, you and Yami would've found a way to Pegasus with us there or not!"
Yugi coughed. "Well, next time I'm in a Shadow Game, I'll feel a lot safer knowing you'll be there to save me if I need it."
"Oh!" Rain blushed, now glancing away.
"Hm." (Y/N) hummed, seeing the teens dance around each other.
"Something wrong?" Her fellow spirit asked.
"I'm just wondering if we were this hopelessly oblivious when we were their age."
Yami's expression immediately became a bit concerned. "Oh gods, I hope not. Yugi would never let me hear the end of it."
(Y/N) giggled at this declaration, making Yami smile. Unfortunately, it didn't last as the two spirits went stiff, both turning their heads towards the bridge.
"What's wrong?" Rain asked, noticing their change in demeanor.
"We sense a darkness approaching." Her partner answered as the two spirits vanished.
Yugi and Rain looked around, trying to find the source of the darkness.
"I don't see anyone." Yugi said. "Show yourself!"
"Heads up!" Rain yelled as a man jumped pass above, skidding to a halt in front of them.
The bald man gave Rain the creeps, his face covered in piercings and with a vacant stare. A familiar voice cackled from within his throat.
"Who are you?" Yugi demanded.
"Prepare to duel, Yugi, and lose your Puzzle."
"Marik!" Rain snarled, recognizing the voice.
"Yes, and soon you and the entire world will be calling me Pharaoh! Meet my mind slave, Strings, the quiet one, and thanks to the power of my Millennium Rod, he shall defeat you."
"Coward!" Yugi yelled back.
"We'll meet soon enough, Yugi. Until then, why should I waste my time when I can duel you through my mind puppets? Battle with the power of my Millennium Rod is no different than you two using your Millennium Items to duel."
Yami immediately took over, glaring down at the puppet.
"That's not true. You force your servants to do your dirty work by taking control of their minds against their will!"
"He's right!" Rain jumped in. "Yami, (Y/N), Yugi, and I duel as partners! We trust each other! You're just using your pawns as shields!"
"I will do what is necessary to claim that puzzle."
"To do that, you'll have to defeat me, Marik." Yami reminded him. "And I can assure you, that won't happen."
"You call yourself a Pharaoh? You don't even know how to use your power! So destiny has chosen me to take it from you, and destroy you and your queen!"
The Pharaoh's gaze became steely at the mention of a threat to his wife. "That ancient power is not yours to take, Marik."
"Like we said, that power is Yami and (Y/N)'s!" Rain shot back. "And if you threaten Yugi and (Y/N) again, Yami and I are gonna have to fight over who gets to hit you first!"
Half agreeing with her, Yami held up his Duel Disk in a challenge. "Make your move. Your plan will never work."
"I'm afraid it already has. I've drawn you into a duel you can't possibly win!"
"Like we haven't heard that a million times before!" Rain snarked.
"All right, Marik, no more talk!" Yami declared as they activated the field.
"Prepare to be destroyed by the force of my Egyptian God cards!"
"Let's duel!"