Chapter 11: Duel Identities

I own nothing.
Chapter 11: An Understanding

The competitors and guests were all gathered in the dining hall for dinner.  It was only after a giant feast was laid out in front of them did the gang realize they were starving, having not been able to eat all day. Tristan and Joey took one look at the spread and did not hesitate to shovel food into their mouths. Across the table, Tea gave them both a disappointed stare at their poor manners.
"I'd like to congratulate the 4 finalists and welcome them to this final phase of the Duelist Kingdom competition." Croquet announced to the table. "I trust you all have your playoff entry cards."
"Huh?" Everyone said in unison.
"In your invitation to Duelist Kingdom, you received these 2 cards: Glory of the King's Hand and Glory of the King's Opposite Hand. You must have one of these to participate in the finals. Those without them are disqualified."
"So that's what they're for." Yugi said, recognizing the two cards from the entry pack.
"Each card provides unique prizes. The Glory of the King's Hand card is needed to claim the $3 million cash prize. The Opposite Hand card allows the winner to challenge Pegasus."
Joey immediately looked panicked as he had neither card.
"To make tomorrow's tournament interesting, your host has added a special ingredient to your soup."
Everyone looked down at the dish as replicas of the Millennium eye floated to the surface of the duelists' soup. Everyone rightfully freaked out as Rain shoved her food away.
"Well, I'm not eating tonight."
"I highly doubt he poisoned it." (Y/N) assured her, appearing beside her.
"Somehow that doesn't make me feel better."
"It's staring at me." Tea said while holding her new friend's arm.
Tristan then tested his soup. "Hey, Rain, Tea, I think ours are fine."
"I'm still not touching it." The Wayfarer said firmly.
Everyone glared at Croquet, appetites now completely gone.
"Open up the eyes and look inside them, if you will. Each of you has been randomly assigned a letter." Everyone followed the instructions and Rain glanced at the paper Yugi had gotten from his, finding the letter A written on it. "The island's computer will pair up the letters to determine tomorrow's duel match-ups."
Everyone held their breaths as the monitor came down and began calculating, eventually pairing A and B, then C and D.
Joey stood up. "Who has C?"
"Me, runt." Keith grunted.
"All right! It's payback for trapping us in that cave."
Keith just smirked. "Once I crush you, you'll wish you were still in that cave."
Joey growled, looking ready to kill the bigger male. Yugi and Mai decided against interfering and politely smiled at one another.
"Looks like it's you and me, Mai."
She nodded. "I'm looking forward to it. Rain, don't think you're off the hook just because you're not a finalist. I expect a duel after this tournament."
The younger girl grinned. "You name the time and place."
"The duels are set." Croquet said. "Yugi Moto vs Mai Valentine and Bandit Keith vs Joey Wheeler. Please enjoy the rest of the feast, because for 3 of you tomorrow, your long journey will end in failure."
(Timeskip)
With some coaxing from Mai and Tea, Rain was able to eventually get her fill. Joey and Tristan, of course gored themselves and were completely shameless about it, even drinking the eyeball soup.
"I think we should all get to bed." Yugi suggested. "If we're all gonna be in top shape for the tournament tomorrow."
Joey became crestfallen. "Yuge, what's the point? Since I don't have that card-,"
"Oh, you mean this card?" Rain said mischievously as she held up her copy of Glory of the King's Hand for Joey. "Not like I'll be needing it. Consider it my apology for keeping so much from you guys. Plus, it's always better odds to have more of your team in the finals."
"You're really something, Rain." Joey said, taking the card. "Thanks."
"Don't mention it. Like I said, it's not doing me any good besides novelty."
"All this lovey-dovey stuff is making my skin crawl!" Mai teased as Rain playfully stuck her tongue out at their friend. "Good night, boys and girls, and catch you tomorrow, Yugi."
As everyone began to go their separate ways, Joey stopped Rain as she headed for her room.
"Rain, seriously, I owe you, way more than just one. You saved me from drowning, then you bailed me out of being disqualified. And giving up your spot for Yugi, that meant a lot for all of us."
"Hey, what are friends for?" She said nonchalantly before holding out her hand for a fist bump. "You can pay me back by kicking Keith's butt tomorrow."
He fist bumped her back. "You got it."
(Timeskip)
Considering she gave up any stakes she had in the tournament, Rain was free to sleep to her heart's content. Despite him being a psychopath, she was certain their little showdown in the dungeon was more than enough proof trying to steal the bracelet from her was a bad idea. So, the Wayfarer got to sleep soundly. The others (Tea, Tristan, and Bakura suspiciously looking tired) picked her up so they could head to the arena. Yugi's other half was in control, but (Y/N) didn't push for them to switch, so Rain remained herself as they all headed out. At the crossroads, the duelists and the spectators face each other.
"Well, guys, guess this is it." Tea said.
Rain nodded. "Yugi, you give Mai the best duel she's ever had. Joey, squash the creep."
Joey was more than happy with those orders and nodded with a grin. Other Yugi was obviously more calm with his nod.  As the finalists headed off to prepare, the remainder of the group headed towards the viewing area. On the whole walk there, Rain felt this itch beneath her skin, like she was being watched. She'd glanced back, only to see Bakura being his usual chipper self with Tristan. Slightly suspicious, Rain caught Tea yawning.
"Did you guys get any sleep last night?"
"Not really." She admitted. "I had this really weird dream about us sneaking around the castle."
Rain crossed her arms. "Really hope that was a dream. It's way too dangerous to wander off with a creep like Pegasus around."
"Yeah...yeah, you're right."
Rain then grinned. "Next time, be sure to invite me. I laugh in the face of dark arts, hahaha!"
"Rain..." (Y/N) said warningly.
"Let me have this."
The group settled themselves above the arena as the duelists walked in and Pegasus made his grand appearance. Rain clenched her fists as the man sauntered in without a care in the world, half tempted to strangle the pompous creep. She felt (Y/N)'s hand on her shoulder.
"Rain, it's out of our hands now. We need to have faith in Yugi and Joey."
"I know...doesn't mean I'm not angry."
"Yugi, Joey, Mai, and Bandit Keith." Pegasus greeted. "I welcome all of you to the playoff arena. Here is where the last great Duel Monsters duels shall be waged to determine the Champion of Duelist Kingdom. Only one of you shall emerge victorious. Only one of you shall win the $3 million prize, and, of course, the victor of the playoffs shall also earn the right to challenge me to a final duel."
"Challenge you?" Tristan shouted. "Well, isn't that special! And what does the playoff winner get for defeating you in the final duel?"
Pegasus narrowed his eye at them, clearly wanting to hurt them, but Rain held up her bracelet as a warning.
He relented. "The victor will be granted one request, whatever their heart most desires, and if it is within my vast power to do so, their wish will be granted. The victor will be declared the  Duelist Kingdom Champion, ranked number one in the world, the undisputed King of Games. Surely any duelist who has come this far must realize that the title, and not the money, is the real prize. Is that not so?"
"You're a regular comedian." Joey growled. "Listen you, the money's all I need for my sister's operation."
Pegasus waved him off. "Yes, yes, I'm sure some of you have more riding on this tournament than others, hmm, Yugi? And Rain, such a shame you can't join us. I'm sure the Kaiba brothers would appreciate another champion."
Rain growled, her fury starting to boil over. Worried the Wayfarer would vault over the wall and try to attack Pegasus, (Y/N) took control, sending a sharp look at Pegasus.
"Calm yourself, Rain." She said under her breath. "He's just trying to goad you."
"All right, let's get this show on the road." Pegasus said. "Only one of you will emerge victorious from these playoffs, but I wish you all good fortune. Now, shuffle your decks and may the best duelist win!"
"The first duel will now begin!" Croquet said. "Mai Valentine vs Yugi Moto. Duelists, please proceed to the arena. Before we begin the match, show me the card required for your participation." Both duelists did as asked. "Both qualify. The duel may proceed."
"Good luck." Tea yelled, slightly nervous as Joey came barreling in.
"Go, Yugi!"
"Joey!?" Tristan shouted as he and (Y/N) were pushed out the way to make room for the blonde.
"What? I was just gettin' a bird's eye view of the action. Go, Yuge! Wipe her out, man!"
"Here I come, hotshot!" Mai declared as the duel started.
"Duel!" They both shouted.