Chapter 13: Best of Friends, Best of Duelists

I own nothing.
Chapter 13: Battle of Brothers

After the briefest of intermissions in which Joey and Yugi refused to speak a word to anyone, everyone reconvened back at the arena.
"This final playoff match between Yugi Moto and Joey Wheeler will not only determine who wins the tournament, but who will also receive the honor of challenging Maximillion Pegasus." Croquet announced.
The remainder of the gang looked down worriedly at the two duelists, uneasy about the outcome, even if it was inevitable.
"Who would have guessed that out of all the duelists who started in this tournament, two best friends would wind up in the final match?" Bakura said ominously.
(Y/N) stood beside Rain in her spirit form. "A battle between brothers, it's an old story to be sure."
"Let's just hope the outcome isn't tragedy." Rain said. "Still, at the end of the day, only one of them can challenge Pegasus."
"Does it have to be that way?" Tea asked, picking up on some of Rain's conversation with her partner. "Can't they flip a coin or something and then we can have the match with Pegasus now?"
Tristan gave her a look. "I don't think that's how this works, Tea."
"Why not? Joey and Yugi are like brothers! They shouldn't be forced to fight each other like this!"
Rain sighed. "This is still a tournament, Tea. Whether we like it or not, these are the rules."
Yugi glanced at his best friend, looking conflicted. "Wait a second, Joey."
"Listen, Yuge." Joey cut him off. "This better not be about you having second thoughts about duelin' me."
"Huh?"
"Come on, pal!"
Yugi looked down. "I'm sorry, Joey, but I don't know if I can do this."
"Aw, suck it up, Yugi! You said it yourself: if it came down to us, we'd both just play our best and most honorable duel. That's the only way we're gonna know which one of us is best prepared to take on Pegasus in the final match. So, let's duel! Whadaya say, Yuge?"
The Millennium Puzzle glowed in response to Joey's resolve, the Spirit of the Puzzle taking over and nodding to the blonde.
"All right, Joey. Time to duel."
Croquet nodded at the agreement. "Your gracious host will now make a few opening remarks."
Pegasus stood up and cleared his throat. "Congratulations, duelists. You're the finest in the world, and for that reason, I look forward to a match that's sure to consist of your best dueling. After all, should you give me anything less, I will know."
Rain growled, seeing the faint glow of Millennium Eye. "Creep."
"One duel at a time, Rain." Her spirit partner insisted.
"Yugi." Joey spoke up. "Before we start, I just wanna say thanks, man."
Other Yugi tilted his head in confusion as Joey grinned brightly.
"Just look at me: I'm in the final match of the biggest Duel Monsters tournament that's ever been thrown, and it's all 'cause of you, bud. You got me here. You looked out for me."
"You're wrong, Joey. You earned your place here."
Joey nodded. "Thanks, pal. Just know that no matter what happens here, you're my friend, and you always will be, Yuge. But don't think that means I'm gonna go easy on you in this match, or that I expect you to go easy on me. I'm ready for your best! So let's do this!"
"I don't think Pegasus has to worry about these two holding back." (Y/N) noted as Rain smiled with a clenched fist.
"Yup. They're ready to give it their all!"
"Let the match begin!" Croquet announced.
"Let's duel!"

Yugi 2000LP/Joey 2000LP

'Yugi' took the first move. "I'll throw this in attack mode. Go, Celtic Guardian!"
The elvish warrior rose to the field, sword in hand and stance at the ready.

Celtic Guardian
1400 ATK/1200 DEF

"You know one thing, when Joey and Yugi had duels back home, there wasn't anything big on the line." Tea lamented. "But here-,"
"Don't worry about it, Tea." Rain assured her. "A single duel isn't going to ruin their friendship. The stakes may be high, but their bond is strong enough to stand it."
Bakura nodded, but still frowned. "Still, I wish there were a way for both of them to get what they've fought so hard for."

Yugi 2000LP/Joey 2000LP

"All right, Joey." Other Yugi challenged. "It's your turn now."
Joey nodded, drawing. "Okay, you asked for it! I'm throwin' Giltia the Knight in attack mode!"
The magic knight appeared on the field, twirling his staff.