Part 8

Maive heard the door handle jiggle and slowly it turned open, she shot up straight and stepped back quickly away from the table. The Superior entered carrying a freshly folded bundle of clothes, he shut the door lifted them up to Maive with a raised eyebrow. She stood still staring at him blankly with a hint of confusion. 

"There for you, you know" he said softly.

She still stood there staring at him with concern. 

"Why am I here" she finally blurted out. 

He took a sigh and said

"Lets just say your very... valuable".

Valuable? she thought, how he could someone be valuable? 

"And I need you presentable when I deliver you".

She scrunched her face in anger not knowing what to say to that, nor even wanting to talk to him another minute. Though she wanted answers.

"What do you mean I'm valuable?" She said

"I'm afraid I can not tell you"

He slowly paced over to the window turning away from Maive while still talking. 

"What I can tell you is that while you are on this ship you are safe, my name is Harlen Starova and my job is to deliver you safely to the Costivian Purists, I am employed by them.  All though I do not practically agree with their ways, if you think collectors are hostile - " 

He paused slightly looking solemnly out of the window still 

" - just wait until you meet them". he said under his breath.

Maive although listening intently had remembered that she still had a hidden dagger beneath her shirt. With Harlen still turned away she slowly tucked her hand under her shirt and unsheathed her small dagger. Moving ever so slightly she lifted it out and gripped it tightly. Her eyes filled with intent, courage and perhaps a little foolishness. She gripped the dagger even tighter with full certainty of what she was about to do, she wound her arm back and went to plunge it right in his backside. Just before it reached him Harlen spun around and grabbed Maive's wrist, he pushed her to the wall pinning her with his arm. Their faces were suddenly just inches away from each other. Maive breathing heavily glared directly into his eyes, Harlen staring right back at her with his face in such a way it was just shy of a smile but still just as fierce. 

"Don't be stupid" he spoke in that low soft enchanting voice. 

For a moment his eyes flashed down towards her lips then back to her eyes. They were even darker than his, he pulled away and took the dagger from her hands. For once Maive could not think of anything even slightly witty to say.