Chapter 5 - Back to Class

Going to class that morning felt so strange.
Not only was I groggy from the lack of sleep, I also felt so spacey after the talk with Ominis, like my brain had shut off entirely.

The first class of the day was potions, which I was quite excited for given how Natty and Poppy were in that class, since they both picked it after passing their owls. From what I knew, all the classes were the same from the previous years in terms of who was in which one.
Of course, I picked each one I could, given my lack of knowledge since I didn't attend the 4 years prior to last year.

I walked into the classroom, ecstatic to finally have a chance to talk to Natty and Poppy properly rather than over owls.
I spotted them almost immediately, looming over Garreth Weasley's cauldron, clearly not impressed with whatever he was doing.
"I don't think that's a good idea" I heard Natty protest as I walked over, which earned her a smirk from Garreth.
"Not to worry, after I add this last drop..." he trailed off, but just as whatever he poured in touched the rest of the potion, there was a loud bang, followed by an explosion of a bright yellow goo going everywhere, coating Garreth and splatting Natty, Poppy and I's robes.
"Oh no!" Poppy exclaimed, examining her ruined robes. Garreth just stood there, astonished by what had happened.
"Please tell me that wasn't what you meant to do" I laughed, earning a look from all 3 of them.
"Emerald!" Poppy exclaimed, rushing over and hugging me. I returned the hug, which was quickly replaced by a hug from Natty.
"It is so good to see you my friend! It has been far too long" she smiled
"It has. It's unfortunate it had to be under such circumstances" I laughed, gesturing at our robes.
We all turned to glare at Garreth, who now held a guilty look.
"Sorry about that, I think I might need to rethink this potion" he grumbled

At that moment, I felt a presence linger behind me, causing me to turn and see who it was.
I smiled as I was greeted by Sebastian, grinning as he stared at my robes.
"I like the new look" he laughed
"Well if you stay around here long enough I'm sure Garreth will happily do the same to you" I teased, earning an exaggerated look of offence from Garreth.
"On these new robes? Would never dream of it. Besides, I could never look as good as you" He teased back.
I wanted to come up with a witty remark, but those words just made me blush. I knew he didn't mean it in any other way, yet those words still had an effect on me.

Thankfully, the moment was interrupted as Professor Sharp burst into the classroom, gaining all eyes on him.
He stared at the scene before him, anger quickly taking over his features.
"Mr Weasley, it is the first day back and you are already testing my patience. Please try and refrain from causing half as many instances as last year, I think both me and your classmates would appreciate it - Scourgify"
He waved his wand in the air, and the mess disappeared. I looked down at my robes, seeing that they looked brand new again, giving Sebastian a smirk before heading to my own station.

Professor Sharp made his way to the head of the class, explaining what is expected this year, given how we were in the first year of our N.E.W.T's.
I tried to focus, but I couldn't help glancing at everyone else in the room.
Given all that had happened, I found it strange how we could all sit in this room as if it was nothing.
I looked over at Ominis, catching him mid yawn, making me smile slightly. At least I wasn't the only one struggling after yesterday.

"Miss Black. I do hope you are paying attention."
I jumped as I was suddenly pulled out of my thoughts, Professor Sharp glaring at me.
"I-um- yes Professor. Sorry" I stammered
"There was leeway for you last year due to your unique circumstance, but I do hope you realise just how important this year is going to be, and how hard that means you have to work"
I nodded, my cheeks turning red at the humiliation.
Professor Sharp went back to teaching as I buried my head in my arms, wanting to disappear.

I looked back up briefly and was surprised to make eye contact with Sebastian.
He was staring over at me, and while he had the expected mischievous look on his face since I got lectured by Sharp, his face also held some curiosity.
I frowned, wondering where that might've come from, but that was quickly answered as he then glanced over at Ominis before looking at me again.
Had he seen me staring? Did he figure out what happened last night? Surely not, otherwise I don't think he would look confused.
I just shrugged slightly, hoping it wouldn't be a big deal, but Sebastian just rolled his eyes, definitely not buying it, before looking back at Professor Sharp.
——————————————————————-
When class ended, I instantly made my way towards the door, wanting nothing more than to just get to my next class and actually try and focus.
However, that obviously wasn't the case.

I spent the whole of Herbology thinking about what my dreams could possibly mean.
Nothing had happened all summer, but then this starts occurring just before I return? I would put it down to nerves but it all felt so real, like I was watching memories in a pensive. Yet, these were obviously things that had not yet come to pass, so maybe a prophecy?
No. They didn't feel like they were set-in-stone. They felt like a choice. Like it was all up to something that hasn't happened yet, if ever.
But why was Isidora there? She's dead. And I never even had the chance to speak with her, only shown memories and journal entries. But the way she talked to me was like she was whispering down my ear, I could practically feel her breathe.

The memory of her sent shivers down my spine. There was no way my mind came up with something so vivid.
Maybe it was something I should talk to the keepers about? Surely they would have some insight as to why I was getting such dreams. Maybe Professor Rackham had experienced something similar.
But what if they thought I was becoming like her? What if they decided that it was a risk? What if they decided to kill me like they killed her to keep their secret safe? What if -

I was pulled out of my thoughts once again as someone grabbed my hand and pulled it back just in time before a chomping cabbage bit off my finger. I hadn't even realised I was so close.
I looked behind me to see Sebastian looking at me with wide eyes, clearly giving him a fright.
"Assuming that ancient magic doesn't allow you to grow new fingers, I'd suggest being more careful" he half joked, letting go of my hand.
I stared at him blankly for a second, not quite sure what to do next. The thought of what the keepers may do was still so fresh in my mind, maybe losing a finger would be a good excuse not to see them for a while.
"Thank you..." I finally uttered, still not fully present in the moment. This made Sebastian frown.

"Are you alright?" he asked
I paused for a second, not sure whether or not to actually tell him, but given the way I was being, maybe telling him some of it wouldn't hurt.
At least someone would know where to look if the keepers did kill me.
"Can you meet me in Hogsmeade later? I'll tell you then" I whispered, which earned an intrigued look from him.
"Very well. Looking forward to it" a satisfied smile took its usual place on his face as he walked away to continue what he was doing.
I sighed slightly. Now I had to come up with something that didn't involve my first dream. Or should I just tell him? It wasn't like it was real. But bringing up Anne and Solomon felt so inappropriate, like it would break him.

I decided to think about that after class, given how Professor Garlick was starting to catch on to how much of a hazard I was being.
He was the only person who knew the most about my power, given how Professor Fig was now gone. He knew about the keepers, about what I was somewhat capable of.
Sebastian might be the only person who I could talk to without having to explain everything from the beginning.
I trusted him.

I looked over at him, thinking about all that he did last year. All that we went through.
Thankfully, he was focused on whatever he was doing, so he didn't see me staring with all the emotions I felt contorting my face.
The pain, the sorrow.
He owed me this.
He said it himself, friends support each other.

Yet, I only yearned to see him as content as he seemed at the beginning of last year.
Hopeful, even.
His face didn't hold the same optimism anymore.
I wanted his happiness back.
We promised no more secrets, but I was willing to break that to maintain whatever happiness he may have left.