Chapter 39 - The Final Relic

The next morning, we all met in the map chamber, eager to locate the last relic and finally get this over with.

I knew I should be glad this was almost over, but as I stared up at the rambling portraits, I couldn't help but be overcome by the overwhelming feeling like this was far from the end.

"- so this relic is a bit more difficult to locate." Professor Fitzgerald finished explaining, my attention finally back on the task at hand as we all stared at her.

"What exactly does that mean?" Sebastian crossed his arms, clearly wanting this over with just as much as I did.

"The Sword of Gryffindor is different from the other relics." Professor Bakar huffed, as though he assumed this was common knowledge.

"It is enchanted so that it will appear to a worthy member of the Gryffindor house, the idea of fitness echoed into its being."

"So how did you find the sword?" Poppy wondered, her attention on Rackham.

"It wasn't easy, but a good friend of mine helped. You must need the sword to summon it." he answered.

He spoke the words in his usual tone, but I couldn't help furrowing my brows in confusion.

What was that supposed to mean?

Then it hit me.

Why would you need a sword...

"You want us to put ourselves in danger, to the point where the sword appears?" it came out as more of an accusation than a question, causing Rackham to look at me, shocked, before regaining composure.

"In a sense, yes."

Dread began to flood my body as his words sunk in. He seemed so casual about it, like he didn't fully register what he was asking, but all I could hear were Sage's words.

the more people you involve, the more there are to get hurt.

And now the keepers wanted us to knowingly put ourselves in danger to summon a sword?

"But wont it only show up for a Gryffindor?" I argued, stepping forward, desperation edging its way into my voice as I tried to think of a way around this.

"Yes. That is why it is detrimental that you stay together when hunting down the sword." Rackham looked at Natty, who gave a sharp nod, accepting the task, but I just started shaking my head in protest as I wracked my brain.

We couldn't just all go and put ourselves in danger when we weren't all needed. All that would lead to are more injuries, or worse.

I may not be able to get Natty out of this, but I would make damn sure I protected her with my life.

And I will fight like hell to make sure the others never have to see that sword.

"What if it was just us that went?" I gestured towards Natty before looking ahead, only briefly seeing the shocked expressions of the others, only to be met with the Keepers mirroring their expressions.

"We don't need anyone else to put themselves in danger. We've been alright so far, so let Natty and I handle this."

I turned back slightly to see what Natty thought, but was instead met with Sebastian's twisted expression, confusion and anger swirling behind his eyes as he stepped forward, opening his mouth, no doubt to protest the idea.

"No. This is a task you must all complete." Professor Rackham answered, causing me to whip back around to face him, filling with disappointment, the dread almost drowning me now.

"But why?" I almost sounded like I was pleading now, but I needed this feeling to stop. I needed to know someone was going to come out of this okay.