Chapter 22 - Christmas in Feldcroft

I slowly opened my eyes and was surprised to find myself practically face down on my pillow.
I sat up groggily while rubbing my eyes, thankful the curtain was closed, only imagining the state I had been in.
Ever since the other night, Sebastian insisted on reading before we went to sleep, claiming that it was good for us both.
As much as I hated to admit it, he was actually right.
I hadn't slept this well in years.

I slowly grabbed the curtain, pulling it to the side as I peeked around it.
I let out a sigh of relief as I saw that Sebastian wasn't there, taking the opportunity to hop out of bed without feeling self conscious.
He seemed to wake up early most mornings.
I would either find him sat at the table reading, with breakfast already made, or out getting firewood, since we were going through it quite quickly.

I took the opportunity to get ready for the day, quickly getting dressed and fixing my hair before he returned.
Sure enough, as soon as I finished putting my hair up, Sebastian kicked the door open, firewood in his arms, and marched over to the fireplace.
"Morning, sleepyhead." he greeted, not looking as he placed the wood down and started a fire.
"Morning." I said, yawning slightly as I sat at the table.

As the fire started crackling, he quickly got up and made his way over to the kitchen, grabbing a bowl of food from the counter.
He placed it down in front of me with a grin.
"Eat up, we've got a big day ahead of us." he said before walking away.

I did as instructed, not realising how hungry I had been as I dug into the meal.
It had felt weird at first, living with Sebastian, having him do things such as cook and take care of the house.
I had never really pictured him to be the type.
But now, I found it quite comforting to observe.
He seemed content with this life.
It seemed to keep him occupied.

I was pulled away from my thoughts as Sebastian placed something on the table in front of me.
It was a small box, no bigger than the palm of my hand, with a bow on top.
I stared at the box for a moment, wracking my brain for an explanation, before slowly tilting my head up to look at Sebastian, raising an eyebrow.
He seemed to hold an anticipating look, as though he were expecting me to do something.
But I couldn't even begin to think what it could be.

I quickly swallowed the last of my food, before pointing at the box.
"What's this?"
"Your present." Sebastian answered, as though it were obvious.
"What for?" I questioned, not used to the gesture.
Sebastian narrowed his eyes, his mouth slightly agape, as though he were trying to figure out whether or not I was being serious.
"Em... it's christmas day."

My eyes widened as the realisation hit me.
A blush began to creep up my cheeks in embarrassment.
It seemed so obvious once he said it.
However, another thought soon overtook my embarrassment as I realised what this meant.
Sebastian had given me a present.

I looked back at the box, noticing how pretty it was.
"You didn't have to.Are you sure?" I wondered, picking up the box, not quite sure what to do in this situation.
He rolled his eyes at my question.
"I wouldn't have given it to you if I didn't want to." he stated, placing his hands on his hips.

I reached for the lid, grabbing it gently.
I pursed my lips in anticipation.
What if I didn't react correctly? What if I offended him with my reaction?
This would be the first, and possibly last, gift I ever received.

Sebastian seemed to notice my hesitation.
He shuffled closer before lifting his foot, giving my leg a light tap, getting my attention.
"Go on, open it." he insisted, an encouraging smile on his face.
I gave him a nervous smile, burying my fears.
He seemed excited to give me the present, so it would be rude not to accept it at all.

I finally lifted the lid, and as I did, a small gasp escaped my lips.
There, in the box, was a silver necklace.
It had a delicate chain, and was accompanied by a small teardrop pendant that housed a circular black gem.
"The gem is Whitby Jet. Some people believe it can be used for good luck and clarity in trials and tribulations. Thought you could use some of that with everything going on." he explained.
I couldn't help but let a grin spread across my face as I stared at the necklace.
I had never owned any jewellery myself, and I had only ever seen it on my mother.
While the design was simple, it still looked so pretty, and the meaning behind it made it that much more special.
"It's beautiful. Thank you, Sebastian." I breathed, looking at him.
He smiled at my words, his eyes gleaming at the positive reaction.