Chapter 29 - The Third Relic

The next day I was awoken by an owl from Sebastian, asking me to meet him in the common room.
Curious as to what could be so important this early, I quickly got dressed and headed out of my room.

As I descended the stairs and entered the main area, I noticed there were very few students around.
As I looked around, I noticed two familiar faces near the windows, chatting in hushed voices as they seemed to wait.
Now it made sense as to why he wanted to meet so early.
He wanted me to talk to Ominis.
I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the lecture I was about to receive, before heading over to them.

They didn't seem to notice me at first, continuing their quiet conversation, which made sure I couldn't hear a word.
"Hello." I greeted, causing them both to jump slightly.
Ominis' face went hard as Sebastian turned to face me, a grin on his face.
"Good morning. Hope my owl didn't wake you, but this couldn't wait." he said, turning back towards Ominis.
I turned to face him too, wondering what this could possibly be about, but Ominis didn't seem to move, like he refused to participate in whatever Sebstian was talking about.

I glanced between the two, waiting for one of them to fill me in, before deciding to take this as my own opportunity to speak.
I did still owe him an apology.
"Ominis, I'm so sorry for what happened in the scriptorium, I-" I began, but Sebastian stepped forward with a sigh, placing a hand on my shoulder which caused me to stop in surprise.
"He knows. We had a talk yesterday after I got back. He forgives you, Em." he briefly explained.
My mouth dropped slightly in surprise, glancing at Ominis who still held the same look, refusing to say a word.
It sure didn't seem like he forgave me.

"Really?" I questioned, causing Sebastian to give me a reassuring nod, although I still didn't believe it.
"So... what's this about?" I asked, pointing to Ominis, while also curious as to why we were meeting in the first place.
Sebastian glared at Ominis, as though that were to somehow change his sour look.
Ominis seemed to feel this, as he turned away slightly, trying to get rid of the uncomfortable feeling.
But Sebastian wouldn't let him.
He stepped closer to Ominis, grabbing his arm and turning him towards me, giving him a nudge as though to encourage him.

Ominis seemed irritated by this acting, almost scolding Sebastian for doing so, but stopped himself as he remembered why he was there.
His expression changed a few times as he cycled through mixed emotions, twisting his mouth as he pondered.
I waited patiently for his words, occasionally glancing at Sebastian to see if there was anything I could do, but he just seemed to stand there too, waiting.

"It seems your sister has continued to snoop around the castle, even going as far to try and find the room of requirement." he said in an irritated voice. I wasn't sure if it was because of me or the information.
"What? How do you know this?" I asked, Hunter's words making more sense now. She really had become worse.
"Your brother has been keeping me updated, it seems he's been keeping a close eye on her for a while." he explained.

I paused as I remembered the conversation I'd had with him.
I knew he just wanted to help, and there was no stopping him once he set his mind to it, but for him to talk to Ominis instead? It just seemed like a lot for him to do for us.
Ominis took my silence as a sign of obliviousness, which wasn't exactly wrong, and furrowed his brows.
"I'm surprised he didn't tell you about it." he commented, a newfound concern in his voice.
"I didn't want him involved." I answered honestly, not wanting to get into our conversation, since it would just lead to opening up old wounds.

Ominis sighed at my response.
"Well he is, whether you like it or not." he stated, his voice cold.
He could probably relate to Hunter in this situation, having those he cares about keep secrets from him.
Which is why I couldn't blame him for being bitter.