Chapter 8 - Poachers

I sat in the three broomsticks, tracing the pattern in the wooden table as I pondered on what Professor Rackham had said.
He was very clear on what I had to do. All it entailed was explaining the situation to my trusted friends, whom I already briefly told about my ancient magic, and asking for their help.
But that was precisely the problem, I didn't wish to ask for their help.

After everything last year, I just couldn't bring myself to ask them to risk their lives all over again.
I had no idea the sort of danger these trials would entail, and if they were anything like last time, they wouldn't exactly be easy.

Maybe I was stressed over nothing.
Maybe if I asked they would decline, having no desire to repeat our past misfortunes.
But I knew deep down, that was just wishful thinking.

"Emerald? Did you hear me?"
I snapped out of my daze, looking at Poppy as she stared at me with concern. Clearly having said something to me.
"Sorry..." was all I could say, not really thinking of a good excuse on the spot.
"I have noticed your mind travelling elsewhere quite a bit lately. Is everything okay?" Natty chimed in, now also staring at me with concern.
I straightened up, putting on a smile. If I was to tell them, now was not the time.

"Yes. Everything is okay. I think the pressure of the N.E.W.Ts are just getting to me" I lied. In fact, I had barely thought about the new challenges of this year. Which only made the lie worse as it grew to a fact in the back of my mind.
Natty and Poppy exchanged a look.
"Well I guess that's understandable. It has been difficult so far" Poppy agreed, laying her head on the table in defeat.
"I thought Professor Howin was strict before, now every time I visit the beasts it seems I do something else wrong" she groaned, to which Natty and I laughed.
"You think that's bad? Every moment I am with my mother she is trying to help me with my studies. Not just in Divination, but every other subject too!" Natty exclaimed, which caused Poppy to giggle.

After a while of complaining about school, Poppy turned to me with a questioning look.
"So are you sure it's not something else that's been bothering you?" she asked, which earned a confused look from me.
"What else could there be?" I deflected, which caused them to share another look.
"Well, you and Sebastian Sallow have become pretty close..." Natty leaned forward, a grin making its way across her face.
Meanwhile, I could feel the confused look on my face deepen at the statement.
"So?" I wondered, not seeing why that could bother me.
"SO are you two dating?" Poppy finished, excitement in her voice.
I felt myself blush as my eyes widened. Was that seriously their conclusion?

"No! It's not like that! We're just friends I promise" I laughed nervously.
"Really? You two are around each other quite a lot and you seem pretty happy together." Natty noted, laughing at my flustered reaction.
"Yes I noticed that too. Was he not the one who fought the troll with you on your first day?" Poppy added, her question causing me to blush at the memory of my first forage to Hogsmeade.
"Well, yes, but that was only because he happened to be the one accompanying me to get supplies" I defended, although this only spurred them on.

"If I remember correctly, Professor Weasley said that you had chosen him to accompany you." Poppy stated.
"How do you know that?" I squeaked, not ready for that to be thrown in my face.
"I was there when the librarian was trying to give Sebastian detention. Professor Weasley came over and said that you had chosen Sebastian to accompany you. To which he seemed quite eager." Poppy explained, her recollection of his reaction surprising me.
"He was probably just happy to get out of detention. He had mentioned that on our way to Hogsmeade" I excused
"Or maybe he was just as smitten with you" Natty teased, smirking.
"Oh imagine if it was low at first sight! How romantic!" Poppy gushed, her hands coming together as she smiled at the thought.
"No! No love!" I groaned, laying my head on the table as it became too much. The cold wood felt nice on my flushed face, any more of this and I think my head might explode.
Natty laughed.
"Okay, okay. We'll stop. Can't blame us for wondering. Something as simple as teenage love seems very exciting after last year." She sighed.
"Oh definitely. While I loved the adventures last year, I do see the appeal with being a normal teenager." Poppy admitted.
This made me frown as I thought about what I had to ask of them.
I knew they loved the experiences we went on, adventures with friends, taking down people like Harlow and the poachers.
Yet, they had a point. We were just teenagers. While we had a duty as witches, it was sad to think that our innocence would be tainted so soon.
Although, for us at least, the innocence had been broken long ago.
But that did not mean I could not protect what normality they still had left.