Chapter 27 - Family

After another day of classes, I had finally had enough.
I couldn't keep pretending like this didn't bother me.
I needed to talk to the others.
I was done with this silent treatment.

As I left Divination, I began marching my way towards the common room, deciding that was the best place to begin, hoping that either Ominis or Sebastian were there.
Although, I was definitely hoping for Ominis.
No matter how I felt now, it seemed the situation with Sebastian had become far too complicated in my mind.

However, just as I had finished descending the stairs, I felt someone grab my arm, pulling me under the staircase, out of sight.
I turned to confront whoever had grabbed me, slightly hoping it was one of the others taking initiative to talk to me first, but it wasn't.
Instead, my heart dropped to my stomach, the determination I felt before disappearing, replaced with dread.
It was Hunter.

"What are you doing?" I whispered harshly, snatching my arm away from him.
"I wanted to check to see what was happening." He shrugged, not seeming bothered by my reaction.
I gave him a puzzled look, not sure what he meant by that.
I could give him a thousand answers to that question, but what exactly had he picked up on?

"What do you mean?" I finally asked, fully facing him now.
"You and your friends have been acting weird. And so has Sage. So what happened?" He explained bluntly.
I paused at the question.
How did he even know that?
And what did he mean that Sage was acting weird?
Was it because of the other day?

"Are you spying on me?" I asked, curious as to how he observed these things.
Yet, it seemed my suspicion was correct, as he rolled his eyes as though it were obvious.
"Can you blame me? Sage seems to have lost her mind since the winter break. All she ever talks about is you."
My eyes widened at his words, the images once again beginning to play in my mind.
I still couldn't believe she had threatened my friends, because the Sage I grew up with would never go so far.
She had changed since I left.
Maybe my father had gotten worse.
Maybe it was because of me.

I shook my head, hoping the images would disappear.
Thankfully, they did.
But now all I felt was guilt.
Because he had suffered too.
"It has nothing to do with you, Hunter." I said, my voice low and small.
I hadn't even convinced myself that was the case, so it didn't surprise me that he didn't believe my words.

I heard him sigh in annoyance, earning my attention.
"Will you stop with that? You and Sage are exactly the same. I'm not some little kid anymore. I can help." he insisted, stepping forward.
I'll admit, for a moment, there was a part of me that believed him.
I debated telling him everything.
But I knew in the long run, he would only end up in danger, and I wouldn't do that to him too.
He was right, Sage and I were the same, at least in one way.
We would do anything to make sure he was protected in a way we never were.

"I appreciate that, but I won't put you in the middle of this." my voice was more stern now, but I could still hear the concern and sadness seeping through.
I hoped he understood why it had to be like this.
Even if he hated me for it.

He glared at me for a while, like he was trying to see if I was serious, looking out for any sign of hesitation.
But he didn't find it.
I wouldn't let him.
Eventually, a defeated look washed across his features as he rolled his eyes again, straightening up as he began to walk away.
However, as he walked past me, he left me with one last thing.
"Fine. But just so you know, I'm on your side."

I turned around in surprise, not expecting him to say such a thing, especially since he didn't even know the extent of the situation.
I watched as he continued to walk away like nothing had happened, letting the emotions loose on my features.
We hadn't seen each other in years, how did he even know he could trust me?
After all this time, did he really still believe I was worthy of it?