Chapter 7 - Answers

After finishing what seemed like a lifetime's worth of classes the next day, I made my way down towards the map chamber.
I was definitely nervous about telling them what was happening, but I tried to remind myself they were just pieces of canvas. No matter what sort of power they hold, they are still at the mercy of the fact they are trapped. That much was clear last year, given how reluctant they were to trust a child with their secrets.

However, a new fear was nagging at the back of my mind.
And that fear was walking not so quietly behind me.

"Where in Merlin's name are you taking me?" Sebastian asked, which caused some people walking past to look in a suggestive way.
I turned around to give him a glare and elbowed him in the stomach, causing him to grab it in slight pain.
"What part of discrete didn't you get? If we get caught I won't hesitate to get you in trouble" I snapped, trying to make sure my voice was low enough to not draw attention.
"You'd love that wouldn't you? Would be a great excuse to leave me behind so your precious keepers don't know about me" he rolled his eyes, standing up straight again as he now walked beside me.
"Well given how I fear you may burn their portraits to the ground, it wouldn't necessarily be the worst idea" I half joked, giving him a smirk as we descended the stairs leading to the sleeping dragon. Sebastian scoffed at this.
"I'm not that dramatic. Although I might consider it if they threaten you" he grumbled, staring at the statue, thankfully not seeing the blush that crept up my cheeks as he said that.
"My hero" I laughed, making sure he couldn't catch on to how flustered I was.

We finally reached the stairwell leading to the map chamber.
We both stared at it for a second, and I felt dread fill my body.
I could only think of last year, how every time I went down these stairs I was faced with a new challenge, each worse than the last.
The last time I had been down there was with Professor Fig...

I felt a hand gently grab my shoulder and I looked up to be met with a determined look from Sebastian.
"You got this" he encouraged, which made me feel a tad better.
Knowing he had my back was something I definitely needed.
I couldn't do this without help, and now that Fig was gone, I was glad that Sebastian was willing to take his place.

"Okay. I'm ready" I said, matching his determination.
He took his hand off my shoulder and gestured down the stairs.
"Ladies first" he grinned, to which I happily led the way.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I pushed the doors open as we finally reached the map chamber.
I couldn't help but look back at Sebastian and smile as I did so, seeing his bewildered reaction.
"This has been here the whole time?" he questioned, taking in the room.
"Seems so. Guess the Undercroft wasn't the only place the Professors didn't know about" I commented, making my way down the stairs.

I stood in the centre of the map chamber, the map from before now gone.
I guess that made sense since it wasn't needed anymore.
Even the portraits were empty.
In all honesty, I didn't even know if they were still here after the final repository was found.
In their minds, their duties were probably done.
But people who are that scared of power don't usually go quietly and leave it all to someone else.
There was no way they trusted me that much.

Just as I thought that, Professor Rackham's portrait changed as he walked into the frame, confusion evident on his face.
"Ah, hello. It has been a while." he greeted, his voice monotone.
"Hello. Sorry. To be honest I didn't expect to come back here" I admitted, to which the portrait did not seem surprised.
"With the final repository found, I see no reason for you to do so. But we are here if you have questions" he explained, looking at the other portraits before sighing.
"At least, I will be here. The others still have mixed feelings about your situation" displeasure laced his voice as he looked away, only to do a double take as he saw Sebastian standing behind me.