Chapter 15 - Her Move

It had been weeks since I had last managed to see any of the others.
After what we went through to get the Hufflepuff Cup, we all seemed to be considering what on earth could be waiting for us next.
For me, I had been practising with ancient magic.
Ever since I absorbed the magic from the cup, I had a new sense of things, like my own abilities had been enhanced.
I could lift heavier things, perform new moves, summon new spells.
It felt like the possibilities were truly endless.
And I still had three more relics.

After my latest endeavour into the forbidden forest, killing spiders as a form of training, I happily strolled through the Bell Tower Courtyard as I made my way back in time for Astronomy class.
I admired the night sky as soft snowflakes fell around me, sticking to my hair and clothes as it coated every inch of the castle.

As I walked inside, I was greeted by the magnificent tree placed in front of the door, causing a small smile to spread across my face.
I really did enjoy the Christmas season, especially at Hogwarts.
My Grandparents usually went travelling around this sort of time, which meant that I had spent my christmas' alone, and before that the Black family didn't exactly indulge in such 'nonsense'.
So, last year, with everything going on, I decided to stay at Hogwarts over the Christmas break, and it was amazing.
The atmosphere was truly something else, joy filling you as you walked through the halls.
It was so great, in fact, that I was planning on doing the same this year.

However, as I made my way down the hallway that lead to the Great Hall, the feeling was crushed by irritation.
Standing there, waiting for me, was Sage.
She held a smug smile on her face as I approached, hoping to get by without a fuss, since I was on my way to class.
But that was just wishful thinking, as she stood infront of me at the last possible second, causing me to stop just before crashing into her.

"And where have you been?" she asked, her voice sounding amused.
I slowly looked up, glaring at her as I debated my answer.
"Just out for a stroll. It's snowing." I answered bluntly.
"I can see that." She let out a small laugh, reaching out her hand as she picked off a snowflake from my hair, watching it melt at her touch before rubbing the water between her fingers, like it was the first time she had ever seen one.

"What do you want?" I asked sharply, trying to get to the point so I could just get to class, but she just seemed to revel in taking her time with me as she continued to smile.
"I wanted to talk to you about our dear brother." she started, causing my eyes to widen slightly in fear.
Had he told her we'd spoken?
But that was ages ago.

"What would I know about him?" I wondered, playing dumb, I wouldn't let her know anything until she said it herself.
"He tells me that you haven't approached him since he joined, practically avoiding him." she continued, leaning closer to me.
I felt relief at that, knowing that Hunter hadn't said anything.
But I also felt guilt, knowing he had to lie.

"And?" I spat, now completely lost as to where this was going.
"Nothing. I just wanted to say that it's good that you know your place." she shrugged, causing me to roll my eyes.
"I'm not stupid enough to risk him being outcasted." I snapped, pushing past her before she could say another word.
But it didn't seem that she was done with me yet.

"We've been having reports of people having their pain taken away by a mysterious figure from villages and hospitals in the area." she called after me, causing me to stop.
Dread filled me.
I had been waiting for this.
Isidora was gathering more power.

I kept my composure as I slightly turned, so that I could see Sage.
She had her back to me, but I could tell from her voice that she had now lost that cocky grin.
"Would you know anything about that?" she asked in an accusing tone.
"No." I answered simply, my voice still bitter.
If I told her now, the Ministry would probably assume I was a threat too.