Chapter 32 - Expecto Patronum

Once we left, Sebastian immediately sent Skye an owl to meet us at the Undercroft.
At first, he was unsure it would even reach her, since he said her father was quite strict when it came to things such as letters, given his line of work.
However, not long after, an owl returned with a letter, dropping it on Sebastian's lap.
He opened it to see a simple message scribbled on a small piece of paper, seemingly rushed.
It was from Skye.
I'll be there.

Now, we were once again waiting in the Undercroft, the minutes feeling like hours as we awaited her arrival, wondering how exactly she was planning on getting here.
It was only Sebastian, Ominis and I waiting, since we didn't see the need for involving the others just yet, not wanting to overwhelm her with people as we told her what we needed.
It just seemed rude.

I felt strange as I prepared myself to tell the story for what seemed like the hundredth time this year.
Perhaps keeping it all a secret wasn't so bad afterall.
Yet, as I watched Sebastian fiddle with his cloak, staring at the door, and Ominis pace back and forth, I couldn't help but feel grateful.
Because as much as I dreaded explaining this again, it didn't compare to the loneliness I had felt this time last year.

Suddenly, the sound of the Undercroft opening filled the room, causing me to turn and look at the door.
I stared as someone entered, hoping our wait was finally over.
And sure enough, as she stepped into the light with a grin, Skye entered the Undercroft.
"Well this place hasn't changed." she commented, looking around the room as she walked towards us.
Sebastian wasted no time in greeting her, engulfing her in a hug once again.
"Thank you for coming." I heard him mutter, his voice monotone, making me think back to his reaction earlier.
I knew a part of him was thrilled to have his friend back, but it seemed to be overshadowed by the secret he kept from her, as though he were just waiting for it to all explode in his face.

As he let go of her, Skye immediately made her way over to me, her grin still wide as she opened her arms and pulled me in.
"It's nice to see you again." she beamed, seeming genuinely happy to be back.
I couldn't imagine begin away from here for so long.
This all must feel so magical to her.
Even in a world full of wonder, Hogwarts still held something that couldn't quite be captured anywhere else.

"You too." I said, hugging her back briefly before she backed away, her eyes landing on Ominis as he stood away from us all, kicking his feet awkwardly as he faced us.
It was silent for a moment, before Skye stepped towards him, her smile turning softer as she looked at him.
"It's been a while." she said, her voice gentle as she greeted him.
Ominis nodded in response, his usual whit absent as he seemed to be at a loss for words, a small blush creeping up his cheeks.
"You look well." Skye continued, unfazed by his quiet response.
I wonder if he always acted like that around her.
"Thank you. It's nice to hear your voice again." Ominis replied, his voice barely a whisper as he tried to compose himself.
Skye smiled at his response.
I could tell by the way she looked at him that she'd missed him.

Sebastian and I exchanged a knowing look as the two stood there, neither saying a word, but having plenty that they wanted to say.
Observing it was so innocent.
I wished they would hug, or say what was on their mind.
But for now, this was enough.
I understood that.

"As much as I appreciate you coming, couldn't you get into trouble for coming to the school grounds?" I asked, breaking the silence.
Skye turned to me, surprised at first, as though she forgot Sebastian and I were in the room.
Then, she gave us both a mischievous smirk.
"Professor Black received a lovely letter from 'my father' expressing my desire to reacquaint myself with the castle grounds before I return next year. To which he graciously accepted." she laughed, her tone sounding amused with the ordeal, as though she missed such antics.