Chapter 24

Cholo and I talked to Jaino that we wouldn't be able to finish the sailing as promised

Cholo and I talked to Jaino that we wouldn't be able to finish the sailing as promised. He totally get it and understood the situation. Limer's health is far more important than going out there in the sea and having some fun.

We paid them in full in advance and we wouldn't take back the payment just because we won't be able to continue. Jaino has been good to us since the day we got on the port and from there and then, he was guiding us, and learned a lot from him.

"You know, if there's a chance you'll go back and visit again, I would take the pleasure to sail you around one more time. You haven't seen much of it, believe me."

"Yeah, that sucks," I muttered. "But we've had fun. The places we went to and all the fun we had would be memorable for all of us."

"I know it will," Jaino said. "Gotta get keeping in touch with me if you want to do that again."

"Or you'll be the one to visit us in the Philippines and we'll show you around."

Jaino put his finger under his chin nodding his head. "That could be a great idea. We'll see that."

"Make it happen!" Cholo energetically said. "We'll wait for you..."

"And you'll tell bring me to the place you were talking about?"

Cholo smirked nodding his head. "Yup!"

Napakunot ng noo ko sa usapan nilang dalawa dahil mukhang sila lang ang nagkakaintindihan sa ibigsabin no'n. Hinayaan ko na lang iyon dahil mukhang may pinag-usapan sila na hindi ako belong at kung ano man iyon ay sana hindi kalokohan.

While we're all inside the room, someone came in to the door announcing his presence. Nang mapalingon kami sa kanya ay nakita naming ang doctor na may hawak na board clip. Kinamusta naman nito ang lagay ni Limer at kung ano-ano pa.

As Limer was told to stay for an extra day for observation, we had to adjust the plan for the rest of this trip. And we really don't mind kung kalagayan naman ni Limer ang kailangan naming bantayan.

Nang harapin ng doctor si Cholo, he mentioned if they could talk outside of the room. I heard that conversation kaya naman isinama na rin nila ako sa labas. Naiwan si Jaino sa loob kasama si Limer.

"Your son was incredible. He's strong and he survived, that's the most important thing there. But just like we've mentioned earlier, we made further observations with Limer." Humugot pa nang malalim na hininga ito bago ipagpatuloy ang sasabihin. "Based on the results of the blood samples coming from you soon, we've detected an abnormality in white blood cells, the first signs of the symptoms are fever or chills, fatigue, bleeding, and more. Has he had any condition that was related to what I've mentioned?"

"He had chills the other day, but he felt better the next day..." sagot ni Cholo. "What does this mean? Is this cancerous?"

Tumango ang doctor na siyang nagpabagsak ng balikat namin dahil hindi naming inaasahan ang balitang iyon. Napauwang na lamang ang bibig ko dahil hindi ako makapaniwala.

"But your son is lucky, it is treatable and still far from worse conditions. It can be treated immediately so it won't get worse. This maybe not be good news, but there's also hope we can hold on to. That's where we should be. If you wish to tell this to your son, know that this is overwhelming so please take it slow and make him understand, but if you want me to do it, I'll do it for you..."

"I—I'll do it. Thank you..."

"I'll see you later."

Nang umalis ang doctor ay naiyakap ko na lamang si Cholo. Natulala siya at ramdam ko ang pagkagulat niya. We both weren't expecting that this would be Limer's case. I tried to comfort him even though I don't have any words to say to him. Basta ang alam, I'm just here for him at hindi ko siya iiwan.

I let go from hugging him at tiningnan ko ang mukha niya at tulala pa rin. Namumula ang mata niya. Inabot ko ang kamay niya at hinawakan ito ng mahigpit.

"I'm sorry, Cholo..."

His shoulder dropped as his head bowed down.

"I know this wouldn't be easy and this isn't what we expected to have while we're here. But you know that Limer is strong, he'll get through this. Nakita mo naman na ang ganda-ganda ng ngiti niya. 'Wag kang panghinaan ng loob, I know what you're feeling, but you're his father and be strong for him dahil ngayon ikaw lang ang taong masasandalan niya. I'll be here with you guys naman..."

"Thanks... Zo..."

"Do you want to tell it to him?" tanong ko sa kanya.

Iniangat niya ang tingin niya sa akin saka ito napasinghot pa. "Hindi ko alam. Hindi ko alam kung pa'no ko sisimulan. Malungkot na siya dahil hindi natin natapos ang trip natin sa mediterenean sea tapos ito pa 'yong malalaman niya. He's too young for this."

I caressed my hand on his shoulder. Bago kami bumalik sa loob ng kwarto ay binigyan ko muna siya ng time mag-isip dahil hindi madaling bagay ang gagawin niya.

Limer's life will change when he'll tell him his condition. Maraming magbabago kaya ang laking responsibilidad no'n para kay Cholo. Mabigat sa kanyang damdamin na ibalita iyon lalo na't nag-iisa niyang anak si Limer.

When Cholo finally have the courage to do so, nauna siyang pumasok sa loob ng kwarto habang kasunod lamang niya ako. I know at that moment ay nagbago ang atmosphere sa loob ng kwarto.

"Anong sabi ng doctor, pa?" tanong ni Limer.

Huminga nang malalim si Cholo saka ito umupo sa kama sa tabi ni Limer. Looking at Cholo, it was hard for him to do this, but seeing how bravely he does this for the sake of his son, he'll do it dahil alam kong kakayanin nilang dalawa ito.

I've known them for so long, they always make it through.

"Limer... 'nak..." he sighed.

Cholo tried not to tear up, but as he slowly said what the doctor told us, I was watching Limer. Lumapit ako sa kanya at hinawakan ang kamay upang maramdaman niyang hindi siya nag-iisa rito. Tears started falling in his eyes. Hindi man niya lubusang maintindihan ang sitwasyon dahil sa kanyang murang edad, hindi siya nag-iisa sa labang ito.

This trip supposedly be fun and memorable one, but I guess, it has a different definition now. But looking at the brighter side, if this hasn't been discovered soon, it'll be hard to take in and now that there's something to prevent it from going to worse, we hope for better results.

This is not the end... one way to start a new beginning for all of us.

 one way to start a new beginning for all of us