Chapter 30

I drove away and thought that it would be the last time I would see him and then I'll cut everything off with him

I drove away and thought that it would be the last time I would see him and then I'll cut everything off with him. And it's too harsh to think that.

It was just like the day I met him. I wasn't welcomed. I have pushed away. All those moments I had with my mom before felt like I've gone through it again and this is much more painful because I thought Cholo wouldn't ever do that to me.

But I understand where he's going. Maybe I wasn't doing my best at all.

While I'm driving, I received a phone call. Grab my phone and glance at the name of the caller and its none other than Cholo.

I let the first call go to voicemail, but then he calls again then I decided to pull over to the side. Hindi ko pa rin sinagot hangga't sa binaba niya ito, but then he once called that I finally decided to answer it, but didn't say anything upon accepting the call.

"Zoey," he started and his voice calling my name was already hurting me. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have done that to you... I'm really sorry, I didn't mean to do that. I wasn't on my mind. There are just a lot of things going on in my head right now. I know it's my fault and I know you're mad, but I didn't mean it. I didn't mean to push you away..."

I keep myself calm even though my emotions running high right now.

"Are you there, Zoey?"

Hindi pa rin ako sumagot sa kanya because he know what he did to me hurt me so much. He knows that pain. He knew that story. He knew everything about me so being pushed away when I only want to be with them is something traumatizing for me. This isn't new, but the pain resides very well.

"I'm sorry I didn't respond to your calls and texts today. When my parents picked up Limer for his treatment today at the hospital, I know being alone puts me in this position. It's hard, and you know that, right? I'm sorry it has gone this way... I should've known better..."

"Cholo, stop," I broke my silence. "How long have you been drinking like this?"

"I don't know... two weeks?"

"Cholo..." the disappointment in my tone is immeasurable. "You could've called me. You could've told me. I'm just one-way call or message. You don't have to rely on alcohol to subside your pain."

"But it helps..."

"I know, it does, but that's not a permanent thing and the result might not be good for you if you dwell your emotion into too much alcohol. This isn't you... you know that Limer's treatment was going well, right?"

"It does..."

"That's what you should hold on to. Believe me, once this is over, everything will be fine. You're not going to lose Limer."

"And you," he uttered. "I'm not going to lose you, too, right?"

I took a deep breath. "Well, you almost did."

"Can you come back?" he asked.

I ended the call and put the phone down. Hinawakan ko ang manibela. I could just go back home and forget about what happened or turn back around and get back to their house. Pinagnilayan ko pa kung anong gagawin ko dahil sa totoo lang ay nasaktan talaga ako sa ginawa ni Cholo kanina.

I'm not sure if what he meant was sincere or if he was just under the influence of alcohol.

Nag-aalangan ako, but when I've come to a decision, I know this would be good—well, at least for me.

I maneuver my car back to the road with a clear vision in mind. The emotions are high, things didn't go well, but I know it cannot change the fact that we've been through highs and lows, and this isn't gonna stop us now.

I turned around and drive back to his house. I took a deep breath as I got closer to his house and once I got there, I found him sitting on the porch of his house. Once he found out that I returned, he stop looking at his phone and stand on his feet.

Naglakad siiya papunta sa akin while I jumped out of my car. He's still drunk I know that, but once I got closer to him para ba siyang nahimasmasan. Nang magkaharap na kaming dalawa at iniangat ko ang ulo ko para tingnan siya sa mga mata. He was looking right through me as well and I really don't know what to say, but he surprises me with what he does next.

I felt his arms wrapped around me and my face rest on his chest. I could feel the warmth and all the nice things there.

"I don't want to lose you, Zo. You're one of the last people I'd rather lose in my life... I can't bear losing someone else important in my life."

Hearing those words from Cholo, I know he meant it—even though he was still drunk, I could feel it was. Mabilis ang tibok ng dibdib ko and I've never felt this one for a long time. I know I couldn't compare myself to Cholo's late wife and I could never be like her, but I wouldn't like to be like her and won't stand against her memories or anything.

When he slowly let go of my hug, I look back into his eyes.

"Did you mean it?" I asked and I know there was some kind of hope in that tone.

"I guess this will answer that," Cholo uttered and the next thing he does, he put his finger under my chin and put his face closer to mine until our lips locked. Nanlaki pa ang mata ko sa ginawa niya, but I closed them when I found his eyes closed.

That kiss sealed something between us.

Nagulat na lamang kaming dalawa nang may marinig kaming busina. When we realized it was his parents, nagkahiyaan pa kami dahil naaktuhan nila kaming naghalikan. I know Limer saw us dahil sinigaw niya rin ang pangalan ko. Once he jumped out of his grandparent's car ay mabilis itong tumakbo papunta sa amin.

"Hello, Limer! I miss you," I hugged and kissed him.

"Miss you, too, tita mommy."

"Huh?" taka kong usal.

But Limer just puts a smile on his face. When Cholo's parents come to our direction, he held my hand while we wait for them. Napatingin ako sa kamay naming dalawa at puno ng kaba ang dibdib ko dahil hindi ko naman inaasahan na mangyayari 'to.

They didn't even say a word but directly hugged me.

"Happy to see you again, Zoey..." his mom said.

And just like his father, he welcomed me nicely with open arms. He even whispered to my ears and says, "With all your heart, love them, alright?"

I only responded with a nod dahil hindi ko alam kung anong sasabihin sa kanya.

When their attention was put back to Cholo, binaling ko naman ang akin kay Limer at sinabi ko na may dala akong pagkain para sa kanya. He was excited as he grabbed my hand and pulled me back inside their house.

When I turned back and called them in, they follow us inside.

At that moment, I knew I wasn't going anywhere because this time, I might finally find my own destination.