Epilogue

I've made a big decision a month ago in my life

But one thing that led to another was a choice between Cholo and me. We got together—and I think it's one of the things we've been avoiding since we met each other and now that we're on this journey together, wala na akong kawala sa chonggong ito.

We're not yet official, we're still dating and testing the waters. I still haven't given my sweet yes to him even though he jokingly said one time which I know wasn't a joke. He always likes to pull it as a joke to save himself.

I knew him for so long wala nang kawala 'yang mga palusot niya sa akin.

Last month, I also filed my resignation at work and was able to render my transition for a few weeks on the other hand, I'm also on the transition of moving out of my place to Cholo's house.

It was hard for me to do that since medyo nagtagal din ako sa work ko na iyon and it would be also hard for me if I'm going to stay there when it's a few hours away from home so it would be a hassle for me. Paunti-unti ay dinala-dala ni Cholo ang ilang mga gamit ko sa bahay nila.

I thought moving in with him would be difficult for me since I have to get used to new routines and this new home for me. But they both make my life so easy. They both didn't make me feel like a stranger dahil tinanggap nila ako ng buo.

Limer was so happy I finally moved in with them, Cholo couldn't hide his happiness as well. It was weird to feel it this way, but we're here now and this is real. If there are people who would be happy about this, it would be Limer. I still couldn't forget the things he said to me back on French Riviera.

When I told my family about Cholo and I, they were so happy for me. Mangiyak-ngiyak pa nga ako dahil sinabi nila sa akin na baka si Cholo na nga ang taong para sa akin. Hoping that this destination would be the end for me.

I gave my mom a call last week and just tried to reconnect with her. Sinagot naman niya ang tawag ko. She's happy with her new life and family. We weren't able to get to know them really, but there's a chance to know her family, and we would love to.

When I told her about Cholo, who she somehow knew for times I have spoken to her about him, she was happy for me. She was still harsh on herself because of the things she did before. Okay na naman kami. Nagkaayos na kami, but she couldn't still forgive herself. I just let her know that we're okay and that we're happy and fine. Just like her, she's happy and should be as it is the life she chose.

Limer's treatment has been going well and it might still take a few months or years to see the result of it, but we're positive that he'll be better as we believe he'll get better in no time.

Today, I went back to the place where we ended things a few years ago to start something new.

I looked at the horizon and all the butterflies flying around with majestic colors. Huminga ako nang malalim habang pinapanood ang mga ito, I came here not to end things, but because I knew this place was memorable for someone else and this is the only way I could reach out to her.

"Sy..." I whispered through the air. "How are you up there? Alam kong hindi mo naman ako kilala ng personal—we didn't even meet personally in the first place kaya siguro nagtataka ka ngayon kung sino 'tong kumakausap sa 'yo ngayon... but you would know because someone close to your heart is someone I knew... his name's Cholo."

A little while, a flower with a dark brown wing landed on my hand. It made me smile as I thought I reached her.

"Are you with me?" I asked. "Because I just wanna let you know that the people you love still love you and I couldn't replace that kind of love. I wouldn't replace you in their hearts, I just want you to know that. I respect you. I respect your memories. But I'm here now, not to replace you, but make new memories with them and somehow get to live the life they deserve... I hope you're happy up there, Sy... I am now."

Lumipad ang paru-paro sa kabilang kamay ko and I thought that's just her way on responding on whatever I say.

"This was your favorite place... and I couldn't deny the fact that it is indeed beautiful. I've been here a few times and whenever I'm here, those stories from Cholo are what I remembered. This was our first end-destination from lots of travels we did. Now, this is a start for a new journey..."

After a while, the butterfly flew away and someone on my side snatching my shirt down. Pagkatingin ko ay si Limer lang pala. May inabot itong maliit na box sa akin at sinabihan pa ako na buksan ito. I did at isang singsing na may disenyong butterfly sa tuktok nito.

"Ano ito, Lime?" taka kong tanong.

Suddenly, Cholo showed up at my side.

"That's... that's our promise ring," he said smiling. "I might not get your sweet yes sooner, I don't mind, but that ring will symbolize how much I care for you. When you'll wear that ring, you'll always remember the things we did before up until now. Those memories we cherished. Those times we thought we wouldn't make it. Those days. That is on that ring now, from now until the end, we'll here be with you, wherever you go, until your last destination."

I was left speechless at napatingin na lamang ako sa singsing. It was made out of metal and the butterfly has colorful beads on it.

"Will you take this promise ring, Zoey?" he asked.

I smiled and nodded, without any hesitation.

He took the ring from the box and slowly put it on my finger. When it perfectly fits on my finger, there's just something in my heart that I couldn't describe. I looked into his eyes and he was a little bit teary-eyed.

I hugged him.

"I don't think you have to wait any longer..." I whispered. "We've waited for so long... I think..."

"Really?"

I responded with a nod, and I let go of him. I smiled looking straight into his eyes.

"Are you ready to take this journey with me?" he asked.

I responded with a nod again. "Yes... I am..."

"Then let's make it an unforgettable one... and beautiful one..." His face went closer to me, and as I closed my eyes, I felt his lips on mine.

Well, it has been a ride for us, and I can't wait to see what's next for us.

—THE END—