17. Anti-Fragile

Things are nice as they are, Carina told herself, again and again as she walked on busy roads of Seoul listening to the cars wheezing away on her side, while she treaded forward with such lightness in her legs that she might fall any second.

Things are nice as they are. Things are nice as they are.

Carina was not herself right now, she realized.

Her fight with Vincenzo had exausted her more than she thought.

She wasn't even conscious of what was happening, where she was going.

She just kept walking.

About three hours later, her eyes were swollen and her chest sore from sobbing, and the muscles in her legs were hurting.

When did she start crying?

The tears continued to flow, and sobs wacked her body, barely allowing a breath to be drawn.

How could he say all those things to her?

"Things are nice as they are. Things are nice as they are." She muttered to herself between her sobs, repeating the same phrase again and again. Perhaps she would start believing them herself.

"I am Carina Cassano." Carina hiccuped as she wiped her tears with both of her hands.

She looked around. She really had walked a lot today. The lake in front of her was very calm, contrayvto the turbulance of emotions going inside her.

"No one tells me who I meet and who I dont." She told herself. "No one tells me what to do. No one tells me where to go or where to not. No one tells me I am fragile. No one tells me I am weak! I AM CARINA CASSANO. NO ONE HAS RIGHT TO CONTROL MY LIFE. AND ABSOLUTELY NO ONE HAS RIGHT TO HURT MY FEELINGS! YOU HEAR THAT YOU BRAINDEAD?" She screamed, looking upwards in the sky.

The sun had already sunk half below the horizon, and the dusk was now gradually setteling over the lake in front of her.

"You have no . . .right . . ." Carina broke down again, weeping in hopelessness. Tears started to fall from her cheeks again, and sobs escaped her throat once again.

"I am not . . . fragile. . .how could you. . ."

The emotinal pain she was feeling had overwhelmed her completely. It was like a bad dream she could not shake off, no matter how much she tried.

So absorbed was she in her thoughts that she didn't even notice that she was not alone. There had been no sound of any kind and no warning.

A soft step behind her, that too was hidden by her sobs, and then a cloth, which covered her mouth and nose from behind, and other hand circled around her throat.

Carina's eyes widened when she realised what was happening to her. Her handbag fell down in moment of shock.

She reacted instantly, suddenly her tears became a thing of past. She immideately started kicking and fighting to get out of the grip, struggling like a wild animal. She dared not to breathe.

Her both of hands furiously scrached the one that was one her mouth and tried their best to latch it off. It was large hand, a muscled one.

Her capator was a man then.

Her mind was spinning with all the possiblities of worst case scenarios that could happen.

Was he alone? Or there were others?

When scratching and kicking didn't work, she elbowed him in his gut with her near full strength.

Her persuer didn't move or make any sounds, simply tightned the grip around her neck.