13

They immediately went back to their place for discussion.

"And we can't make the cure-all drug for Ruri without this sulfuric acid stuff?" Chrome asked.

"Nope. We need to secure a source of sulfuric acid anyway, or chemistry won't develop any further." Senku said.

"We'll have to push our way through to gather some." Kohaku grabbed the containers. "I'll risk my life as many times as it takes to save Ruri-nee," she said. "With my speed..."

Hoshi grabbed Kohaku's shoulder and frowned. "No, Kohaku. That's not how to do it."

"Back in our age, there was a group that went to do research around an area of sulfuric acid like this one. The man in front knelt for a moment, maybe to tie his shoelaces." Senku explained. "He was dead. There was hydrogen sulfide at his head's height when he knelt. This is an accident that actually happened."

"Humans don't stand a chance when Mother Nature wants us dead. It doesn't matter how fast you are, Kohaku." Hoshi said.

"Then what are we supposed to do, Senku? I have to save Ruri-nee, no matter what!" Kohaku exclaimed.

"What else? We're going to make gas masks." Senku smirked.

~~~

That evening, Kaseki started to make the gas mask to prevent breathing the poison gas. Hoshi went back to the shed to prepare the bed for sleeping later.

"Senku won't let me go with him, I guess..." Hoshi muttered. "My clumsy legs would fall before I get a drop of sulfuric acid." she sighed.

She waited for the boys to come back, and peeked through the door to see them. Both of them aren't down there but she heard their conversation behind the shed.

She slowly climbed down the shed and hid behind them.

"... Listen up, Chrome. I'm going to pass down all the science I know, all two million years of human civilization, to you right now." Senku said.

'Pass down all the science knowledge...?' Hoshi thought.

"Wait, wait, hang on! It's too soon! Quit talking like I'm replacing you or something! Jeez, that's so ominous!" Chrome exclaimed.

"Well, aren't you kind?" Senku chuckled. "What are you, my girlfriend? I don't have one millimeter of interest in dying, so relax. But the only way to cure Ruri's disease is to charge into the poison gas and get some sulfuric acid. If the two of us do go down together, in that instant, all science will disappear from the face of the Earth." he explained.

"Psst, Hoshi, come up here," Kohaku whispered and lifted her to the tree branch. Hoshi whispered back thanks and continued to listen to the boys' conversation.

Chrome glared at Senku. "So I'm staying behind in case you die."

"Yeah, after I pass down all my knowledge of science."

"I'm not taking it, if that's the case!" Chrome exclaimed.

"Ah? What are you, a kid?" Senku sighed. "Don't get so fussy about staying home-"

"That's not the point! I have no intention of helping you with a plan that makes it okay for my friend to die! Sorry to disappoint you, Senku, but I'm not taking your knowledge. So if you croak, it's game over for science!" Chrome angrily punched the tree behind Senku. "You coming back alive, ten billion percent! You have to, Senku! Think about Hoshi! Your assistant! What will you do if you left Hoshi alone?!"

Chrome walked away, "besides, why are you, the key figure of science, doing the raid through the poison gas? Just use me or someone else. Senku, that's what you would call 'logical'. And yet, you're like, 'Chrome, you're staying at home.'. You seem to think you need to protect me. What am I, your kid?" he asked. "Don't patronize me, asshole."