007.

mulani vázquez
the bronx, ny
thursday • 8:10 am

don't be a silent reader!
————————————

i woke up to a heavy weight on my shoulder. as i was opening my eyes, i look over to my right to see kay laying there, sleeping peacefully.

what do i do? do i move? i mean my body hurts from sleeping in one position on the couch all night. i didn't even mean to fall asleep.

i grabbed my phone to check the time. 8:10 am. okay, not bad... i guess i can wake him up.

i shrug my shoulder up and down in order to wake kevin up. from the looks of it, he seems to be a light sleeper. "kay, wake up! my body hurts," i said, encouraging the boy to stir from his sleep. he slowly lifts his head from its position on my body and he blinks a few times.

rubbing the sleep out of his eyes, he responds. "my fault lani, i ain't mean to crash here." he yawns a little before standing up to stretch. "nah, you good." i told him.

kay walked down the hall to my bathroom so i sat still on the couch and waited for him to return. i picked my phone back up and checked all my notifications.

i have to post on instagram today. though i really don't feel like it, it's my job. i also saw i had two missed calls from my mother. what the fuck does this bitch want bro? she finna get me tight and it's not even noon yet.

after contemplating whether or not i should call her back, i decided i would anyway.

it took three rings before the call connected.

"mulani." my mother said with stern voice. "yes?" i asked, dryly. "Sé que me has visto llamándote por el culo y no quieres responder a tu madre?" (i know you seen me callin yo ass and you don't wanna answer your mother?) here she go.

"estaba dormido." (i was asleep) i said. "Lo que sea mulani. Necesito que vayas a la oficina de correos por mí. Tengo un paquete que tengo que dejar, pero mi coche está en la tienda." (whatever mulani. i need you to go to the post office for me. i got a package i need to drop off but my car is in the shop) she told me.

i really don't feel like going out of my way for her but whatever.

"Te necesito aquí en 10 minutos. Si apareces más tarde, se va a empacar. La gente está tratando de sacar los paquetes temprano." (i need you here in 10 minutes. if you show up any later it's gone be packed. folks be tryna get they packages out early) before i could say anything, she hung up in my face.

i might've forgotten to mention i'm biracial. my mothers side is dominican and my dads side is jamaican.

i sighed before turning my phone off. i layed my head back against the soft cushion of my couch and contemplated life for a second.

kay eventually came out of the bathroom, hand sitting in the waistband of his grey sweats. he looked good. his hair was still in a messy ponytail from the night before.

he walked over to me and stood above me. i raised my head up as he was towering over me. "you got an extra toothbrush or sum?" he asked. "yeah, it should be sum under the sink." i always keep extra toothbrushes from the dentist.

he then walked back into the bathroom to brush his teeth. i decided i'd get up and go get myself ready to see my mother again.

as i walked to my room, i knocked on the guest bathroom door where kay was. "i'm gonna go into my bathroom ight?" i didn't wait for a respond but i could hear him yell out an "okay" from behind the door.

as i got into my bathroom, i did my oral hygiene routine as well as changed my clothes. i put on a basic pair of ripped jeans with a graphic tee. i layed my edges down real quick and made my way back out into the living room.