Chapter 4

Shen Qingqiu had been very set on talking to Yue Qingyuan about the issue that has been troubling him these past few days, yet the man, although asked to take a rest after his 'spine adjustment' kept running around Qiong Ding peak, checking things here and there and Shen Qingqiu was stuck to stay back at the house. He couldn't even take a walk outside because he might be seen and that would raise questions. Although Shen Qingqiu wasn't sure what questions that might raise. Shouldn't it be normal for sect siblings to visit one another once in a while. Although it was true that the youth that had interrupted their breakfast that morning had indeed looked a bit puzzled.

Shen Qingqiu began to think that this whole sect was a little weird. Or maybe it was just that he knew not enough about them to understand their odd behavior. But alas, as if Shen Qingqiu knew anything about people in the first place. He had rarely ever interacted with any person on a normal basis. Shen Qingqiu rolled his eyes in frustration and crunched up a piece of paper before throwing it at a wall. When it fell to the floor, he got up and picked it up. He unfolded it on the table and poked at it before deciding to fold it into a small butterfly. It was a little crooked, its wings looking like they had been broken in several places, but in some way it still looked fairly adorable.

Shen Qingqiu looked it over several times before picking it up. He narrowed his eyes and thought for a while. I wonder if it... Shen Qingqiu had the vague idea of a technique in his head that made it possible for you to infuse leaves and flowers with spiritual energy. He wasn't sure if it would work with non-living objects however, but it was worth a try. Shen Qingqiu concentrated for a moment and... it burst in flames. Pale ash rained to the floor and Shen Qingqiu frowned. He might have used a bit too much... He folded another few butterflies and tried again on one. Though the energy was this time the perfect amount, it did in fact not work.

Shen Qingqiu sat the pitiful little paper creature on the table and propped his head up on his arm. Then he had an idea. He stuffed the folded butterflies into his sleeve, jumped up and sneakily went to a window leading to the garden. He looked over the windowsill outside to see if anyone could see him. When he was unable to see anyone he stole himself outside, sneaking from wall to wall and even jumping on a roof to not be seen, until he finally reached a bush. He started plucking off leaves of all sizes, but mainly the ones that were very green. After every leaf he looked behind himself if not anyone had come in the meantime. After a while he grew a bit calmer, but too early. He suddenly heard a twig break under someone's boot behind him and slowly turned around while stuffing the leaves into his sleeve.

Behind Shen Qingqiu there stood a child. It was a young girl. She blinked once, twice, and stared at Shen Qingqiu crouching on the ground before a bush, leaves sticking out of his sleeve. He had to think quickly. Either he knocked out this child and had to hope she wouldn't remember what had happened or he did the reasonable thing and quickly told her a crappy cover up story. Okay, you are an immortal master and that is just some kid. If you just tell her a random story, who is she to question you? Shen Qingqiu inwardly nodded and gracefully got up. He quickly thought of the right address and greeted the girl.

"This Shen greets shizhi. How may he help you?", he said.

"Shen-shishu", the girl stammered, "What are you doing here?" She had heard her shixiong speak about how they had heard that Shen Qingqiu had been visiting their master. She had not been willing to believe these rumors because she knew that her master and his shidi did not have the best of relationships. Now seeing him truly lurking around outside of Yue Qingyuan's house, she was so surprised, she forgot to mind seniority and asked him a question she didn't have the authority to ask.

Shen Qingqiu, not knowing that fact, answered with some bullshit he quickly came up with. "This Shen was in the mood for tea, so I plucked a few leaves. Leaves from this bush are especially good for tasty tea."