Chapter 38

In the evening of the day after the meeting they sat in the office, taking care of the last documents before Yue Qingyuan got up.

"Alright then. We're finished," he said and smiled, "Now…Do you wish to talk here or should we sit somewhere more comfortable."

"You implied that this may be something I would not be so fond of hearing, so I would like somewhere comfortable where I can lean against you more," Shen Qingqiu replied with a smile, “Although…maybe not the leaning part. It's a serious talk after all.”

“Then how about we sit in the garden to talk? All conversations are better with a bit of fresh air in the nose, don't you think?”

“That sounds nice.”

Once outside, Princess, who had up to now tagged along, went off into the shrubbery to take her third nap of the day. Shen Qingqiu looked after her with an amused expression before sitting down on the bench next to his husband.

“Before you get started, allow me a guess,” he said, looking to the side momentarily. After seeing Yue Qingyuan's hesitant nod he continued speaking, “It's about the kid, isn't it? My disciple? Last time we saw him, you reacted strangely.”

“And here I thought I was subtle… But from you I can't hide anything,” Yue Qingyuan joked, “Not that I'd want to either. Do you also know why I reacted so strangely?”

Shen Qingqiu's expression became a bit serious for a moment, but he quickly resumed his calm expression. “I do,” he said, looking out into the garden, “He's a demon. With the blood of a heavenly demon.”

Yue Qingyuan sighed. “You seem to not think that too concerning. At least you seem to have known it a bit longer than I and you have not treated him any differently or talked to me about it.”

“I didn't know it for much longer. And I wanted to talk about it today even if you hadn't mentioned it,” Shen Qingqiu replied, his voice soothing in worry that his husband might get a bit agitated since he seemed to be rather worried, “But nevertheless, I don't think it would be too much of a problem that he is.”

“Not too much of a problem? Need I remind you of what we saw?” Yue Qingyuan asked in disbelief. He failed to understand how Shen Qingqiu couldn't see a problem in the boy that could literally grow up into their murderer if they did the wrong thing.

“No, you don't. I vividly remember,” Shen Qingqiu returned, crossing his arms, “But must I remind you what I myself have done to the person who treated me like less than a dog for years? Although my reaction was a bit more…tame. I doubt that the kid would just turn on us because of nothing. As long as we treat him fairly.” That last part he said with a meaningful look, telling Yue Qingyuan that even seeing the boy as a problem might just cause said problem.

“You still can't say that he is a normal child. No matter how bad the treatment, a normal kid wouldn't turn so ruthless merely because of that. Especially when they're initially so…well behaved as he is currently,” Yue Qingyuan argued. His worry at the moment was not solely focused on their wellbeing, but he rather feared for his sect and now thinking about it, he could already see the mountain burn. Literally.

“That's because something wasn't quite right with the Luo Binghe we saw. Didn't you. Notice it too? That strange demonic aura can't be just explained by his heritage. There was something else there…” Shen Qingqiu said defensively. As soon as the words were spoken out, an image flickered in his mind. Luo Binghe,  wielding a dark sword. Immediately he understood. “There was a sword. It seems to have influenced him and its aura is…dark. I am not entirely sure, but it looked to be Xin Mo.”

“Xiao Jiu, I need to apologize, but anything concerning demons is your strong suit and not mine. I need you to enlighten me,” Yue Qingyuan apologized. He really had no idea what that sword was, but he felt a little calmer, knowing that there could be a reason for the boy's change.