Chapter 36

It really came to Shen Qingqiu as a surprise that as he walked about Qing Jing peak, not a single soul looked at him differently. Everyone looked at him totally normal. There was not even concealed fear or distrust. Nothing.

The only thing he did notice was that a couple disciples seemed to be either missing or they were working on something gloomily without even looking over, but compared to the ones that just minded their own business or trained by the side those were just few children.

Shen Qingqiu normally would have cared even if there was just a few of his disciples feeling uncomfortable around him, but right now he didn't really have the time because every few minutes there was a kid tugging on his sleeve, eager to show him something they learned or who wanted advice or who just wanted to express how happy they were that he was back.

Yue Qingyuan did his best to help too, but he left the majority to Shen Qingqiu. He thought it more important for him to interact with his disciples so he would lose some of that fear he had about possibly being thrown out of the mountain. He took the time he had to go to the bamboo house and pick up whatever work there was, deposit dirty laundry and pick up a set of new clothes for Shen Qingqiu.

He was thinking that probably they should split their clothes and each put a couple into the other's closet. That way they wouldn't always have to transport them back and forth. Since he was already in the house, he also thought of grabbing a couple sweets for Shen Qingqiu as well since he noticed that he was starting to run low on his sleeve stash. Yue Qingyuan also allowed himself to take one of the bonbons and eat it. He knew Shen Qingqiu wouldn't mind.

When he got back, he was a bit stumped to see Shen Qingqiu standing there with Liu Qinge, Luo Binghe and Shen Yuan, holding…A big dirty ball of fur? The mood seemed to be rather heated, because Shen Qingqiu was glaring daggers into Liu Qingge who looked extremely shocked about something.

As to how this situation came to be and the man acquired said ball of fur, well… that's very simple.

When Shen Qingqiu was checking up on his disciples and was correcting the pose of one of the younger disciples, he noticed that someone had entered through the gate. He recognized Liu Qingge pretty easily. The man seemed to be heading towards the bamboo house as he was holding something hairy under his arm like one would hold a bag.

Getting curious, Shen Qingqiu quickly apologized to the youth he had wanted to help and followed his shidi. He caught up with him fairly quickly and managed to stop him before he had even halfway gotten to his destination.

"Liu-shidi, what are you doing here? And what's…that?" With the tip of his fan, Shen Qingqiu pointed at the hairball that seemed to be squirming and hissing.

"Demon. Found it lurking around, so I fought it. Don't know what type it is, so I wanted to look in the library," Liu Qingge explained.

"Show me that thing," Shen Qingqiu demanded, feeling that something was off about this 'demon'.

Liu Qingge pulled the 'demon' out from under his arm, holding it up by what looked like the thing's neck fur. Immediately it began hissing and scratching the air as it tried getting a hold of Liu Qingge's skin with its claws.

"A demon, Liu Qingge?" Shen Qingqiu asked in a mocking tone, realizing what this thing was, "You idiot, this is not a demon. This is a cat!" He snatched the cat from Liu Qingge's hand and held it against his chest. Immediately the cat stopped clawing and instead it started whining pitifully as if it was heavily wounded. Shen Qingqiu examined it, but he couldn't find any major wounds, just a couple scratches here and there, at least where he could get through the long fur. Nonetheless he started giving it head pats to calm it down. "Oh, poor thing…did the bad uncle hurt you?"