Chapter 42

Shang Qinghua didn’t like it too much having to go to Mobei-jun to tell him ‘sect secrets’ as his ‘spy’. Mostly because of the beatings than because he betrayed his sect. He mostly told the man useless crap anyways, which might not really be good for him being useful to the other, but at least he could pretend that he was still a good person. Plus, he already received his punishment in form of these beatings, so that wasn’t too much of a crime. But aside from being punched in the face every time he came over, he was getting ridiculed every single time and he just couldn’t fucking take it anymore. But what could he do? He didn’t really have the grounds to say anything. If he did, he would get turned into polishing for the floor, so he rather let that be, but since he had noticed that he had the ability of changing the story a little, maybe he could make himself a little more useful so he could perhaps earn at least a grain of respect and maybe a few less kicks.

“What are you dreaming about? I told you to get me water!” Mobei-jun grumbled, kicking Shang Qinghua right in the lower back, causing him to fall forward and land directly on his face. His nose started hurting right away and he checked in a panic if it had started bleeding. “‘You begged to be my servant, so serve,” Mobei-jun commanded without pity.

“Yes…my King…” Shang Qinghua mumbled, hastily making his way to the kitchen to get a cup of water. In the kitchen he quietly grumbled, “A grain of respect, my ass. That guy probably never even respected his own mother. How can such a pretty guy be such an asshole?!” When he walked back, he shut his mouth again. He wasn’t really brave enough to say that remotely in the hearing range of Mobei-jun. At least not on purpose.

“Now, tell me… What’s going on in that little sect of yours? You haven’t given me any valuable information in months. Are you holding anything back?” Mobei-jun asked impatiently.

“Nothing, my King. I promise, my King,” Shang Qinghua assured, “It’s just very peaceful times at the moment. There is even less inner conflict than ever, so there’s nothing much to report, but some boring rumors and all.”

“Really now? Odd. I have been informed that your sect has been visited by a sect leader from another sect that you don’t have business with. Is there something with that?” Mobei-jun asked, with a hint of suspicion in his cold voice, “I’m warning you once, Qinghua, if you don’t bring me anything of importance I might have to reconsider the value you have for me.”

A shiver ran down Shang Qinghua’s spine at that sentence. He hadn’t in detail written out the OG’s death scene in the original work, but since he really liked the Mobei-jun character and that guy had been a bit too close to him in his imagination, he had imagined it very brutal and he definitely did NOT want that fate. Being useless to Mobei-jun would be the worst that could happen to him.

“That woman just had an unresolved grudge with the Qing Jing peak lord,” Shang Qinghua quickly said, “She wanted to publicly shame him! I didn't think my King would have found this interesting!” Mobei-jun narrowed his eyes which caused Shang Qinghua to be in immense stress. “Sh- she will trade fruits with our sect against some scriptures,” he blurted out in order to give at least something.

“So there is something after all. Why didn't you say so in the beginning? Do you think I'm an idiot who won't notice you keeping things from me?”

‘Bruh, if you knew…’ Shang Qinghua thought, shaking his head and kneeling to the ground to at least pacify Mobei-jun a little. He had a feeling that the man was in a worse mood than usual and he didn't like that at all. Mobei-jun in a bad mood meant more kicks. Sometimes he cursed the system for forcing him to endure this just for the plot’s sake. Couldn’t someone else get the kicks and he could watch Mobei-jun from far away to appreciate his coolness?