𝟎𝟕.

"𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐜𝐚𝐥𝐥"
...

CORA HAD GONE back to the apartment after feeling rather sick shortly after exploring the museum.

she wasn't particularly sick, she just needed time to think about what she had seen.

it didn't feel real to her.
how did they not know about the shrine before? why was gale only telling them now?
she exhaled slightly, feeling out of breath from all the questions pondering around her crowded head.

she walked along the street path, taking out the key to the apartment as she entered the block.
she felt relived to be back at home, and she could finally take a short while to relax, and think about things.

she climbed the stairs, finally approaching the door and unlocking it with the key she held in her hand. when she opened the door, she took a moment to admire the empty atmosphere, finally being able to think straight.

she placed her jacket on the table, turning around to unlock the door, something sam had encouraged to tara and her, since the killer obviously knew where they lived.

she hummed, entering her bedroom and taking out her phone.

there was one message that had come in recently from sam, saying 'remember to lock the door' and one other message she didn't recognise.

she furrowed her eyebrows, opening the message.
she froze as she held the phone in her hands, trying not to drop it as she checked the message again for assurance.

it was a picture of her.

a picture of her in her room, phone in hand and completely clueless to the photo a psychopath had just taken of her.
how did the killer even get her number?

once she had recovered from her moment of utter shock, she put down her phone, panicked.
she didn't know why she wasn't texting sam, or anyone to come and help her, but in a moment of desperation, she had to know where in the house the killer was hiding.

she ran quickly into the kitchen, grabbing a knife from the holder and holding it out in front of her as if she was prepared for the killer to pounce at her then and there.

she sniffed, a tear slipping down her cheek as her breathing pattern began to malfunction.
suddenly, the apartment phone began ringing.

cora's eyes flickered.
should she answer it?
she shook her head, slowly approaching the phone and picking it up.
because it wasn't a modern phone, it didn't exactly tell cora the contact details of who was calling her, so she had absolutely no idea.
she whimpered, clicking answer on the phone.

"hello cora."
the sinister voice rang out.

...

ethan was now alerted to the fact his phone  was ringing, the alarming sound catching the attention of the others.
'yikes' he thought.

he took it out, gulping slightly once he had noticed who it was from.

"i have to take this." he said, quickly hopping out of the van and turning the corner.
what could he want with him now?
another impossible task he had to execute before the sun went down?