𝟐𝟑.

"𝐞𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧 𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝𝐫𝐲."
...

ETHAN LAY ON HIS BED, his head facing the ceiling as his mind wandered over various topics.

his prison, as he would call it, was fine to a certain extent. he didn't want to be there, but considering he may have to chance of being there for the next fifteen years, he could get used to it.

the guards, and nurses, and most of the staff were nice to him and understanding of his situation, which made him feel a little better.

if there was any feeling that could lighten up his face, it was being understood.

he missed cora a lot, to say the least.
he was so glad that he didn't have to share a room with anybody, because if he did, the other person would never get any sleep for the amount of times ethan had woken up suddenly in the middle of the night, after having more and more nightmares about everything.

it always started the same.
quinn was always standing in the kitchen of the carpenter sisters apartment, standing by the knife holders.

the day he made the biggest mistake of his life.

she was just standing there, in the silk pyjama set that she had owned longer than he could remember, suddenly taking the holder and ripping each knife from their slice in the holder.

she would hand them to him, and he would never be able to stop himself from taking them.

she would say different things every time, all about different things linked to the same topic.

the first night, it was, "kill whoever you can" and the second, it was "at least try and stab someone, dad'll be mad if you don't hurt at least one of them" and the third, it was, "kill mindy, she pisses me off."

ethan liked seeing quinn after he now had to accept the fact she was dead, but he didn't like the things she was saying to him.

it always reminded him of when cora and he were at the peak of their relationship, spending every second they could with one another, or always linked in some way.

it made him shiver thinking of how far away she was from his protection.

he wanted to know how she was doing, and if she was remembering to stick close to the people she loved, and the people who cared about her well-being.

he didn't want her to suffer alone, if she was even suffering at all.

ethan had done a pretty fucked up thing to his girlfriend, so he didn't expect her to stay with him or even attend his court trial.

but she did, and that was the thing he couldn't put his finger on. sometimes whenever she visited, he just wanted to grab her shoulders and shake her, and ask her why she stuck around for him.

she couldn't love him that much after he murdered someone, surely.

ethan sighed, blinking once or twice before hearing the door unlock, one nurses strolling into the room with a pitiful look on her face.

ethan sat up, giving her a questioning look before swinging his legs over the bed.

"ethan, it's cora. she's here." the nurse said kindly, her face still dwelling with worry, something that ethan wished he could know the reason why.