𝟐𝟐.

"𝐲𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐥 𝐠𝐞𝐭 𝐭𝐢𝐫𝐞𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐰𝐚𝐢𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠"
...

THREE WEEKS LATER.

CORAS HEAD HUNG over the sink in her apartment, her hair tied back as she threw her guts up.

she wished she would stop doing this, but she just couldn't. not when there was no one helping her through this, at least, not in the way she wanted.

ethan had been sent to the facility a week before, and cora still hadn't gotten over it.

she saw him everyday for the full amount of time the guards gave her, not hesitating to swear at them when they tried to make her leave.

she thought things would be fine.
she thought it'd just be like the old days, when they were in this big friend group, seeing each other every hour and spending all the time they could with one another.

even though cora was seeing him every day, it wasn't the same.

she wanted to touch him again, which was one of the privileges she had when dating him that the facility didn't allow her to do.

she wanted to run her hands through his hair, and whisper sweet things in his ear like the way he used to do when they saw each other in the halls in between lectures.

college.
was she ever going to go back?
tara, mindy, and chad had all returned to school, but cora hung around as much as she could at her apartment, where she could be alone when she was not visiting ethan.

she didn't want to hear them offer her help, or therapy or anything.

she just wanted her ethan back, and that was all she was asking for.

"fuck"
she murmured, wiping her mouth and raising her head from the sink, an exhausted expression clouding her face.

she would never turn to alcohol in any sticky situation, but for the past week, all she was ingesting was straight vodka.

she wiped her eyes, exiting the bathroom and immediately feeling as if she was going to collapse.

she hadn't eaten at all that day, and it was safe to say she felt as if she was going to pass out.
she shut her eyes, wandering around the apartment trying to find the safety of her bed.

she groaned when she heard banging on the door, her steps slow as she made her way toward it.

she barely managed to get any words out as her cloudy bloodshot eyes stared into the brown ones of sam, her expression angry.

"where the fuck have you been cora? i've been texting you non stop for the past two days and i've gotten nothing. have you given up or something?" sam hissed, charging into the apartment and immediately wincing.

"cora, this place is a fucking mess." she said, her hand covering her mouth as she gazed at all the empty alcohol bottles, and various blankets covering the now confined room.

"whatever, sam. as you may have noticed, things aren't great. so thank you very much, but i'd appreciate it if you just left." cora mumbled, rubbing her eyes and wandering back toward the direction of her bedroom.

"cora—" sam said, walking after her and trying to grab her arm.

"—cora! fucking listen to me!" she yelled at her, instantly making the drunk girls eyes widen.
never had she heard sam raise her voice like that, and there was no denying that it was a surprise.

sam must've been really pissed to use that tone, especially when regarding a friend.

cora turned around and blinked at her, lifting her arms from her sides and smacking them back down again.

sam sighed, placing her fingertips in between her eyes, and shaking her head slightly.

"do you have any idea how much we've been worried? cora, we haven't seen you in days. we didn't know where you were. chad came here one night and you weren't there. he was so fucking scared that you did something to yourself." sam said, stepping closer to the girl.

"don't act like that, sam. i'm not in the mood for it." she said, shaking her head slightly and turning away.

"you can't let him control your life, c."

those words immediately made her turn, slow enough that she hadn't fully turned, only her head turning toward the other woman, her eyes clouded and hurt.

"don't you fucking dare say that to me." she said, continuing to walk down the hall, hoping that sam would just give up and leave her alone.

wrong.
sam was stubborn, and seeing one of her closest friends so heavily hurt by the imprisonment of someone who did her no good didn't make her want to leave the apartment anytime soon.

"he's not good for you, cora. you have to let him go. there's no way you can maintain a relationship when your boyfriends locked up in a fucking cell." sam ushered, moving closer to her, hoping to convince her without somehow starting a fight.

cora paused, turning around to her.
"don't even think about telling me what's right and what's wrong sam. where the fuck were you guys while i was crying my eyes out leaned over his hospital bed, wondering why my life had to be that hard? cause i got through that stage of this process by myself, and i can wait fifteen damn years it i have to for him." she said, her voice quiet but steady.

sam stood speechless, a tear slipping from her eyes.

"i don't know who you are, but whatever this is, isn't the girl i used to know. the girl i knew was fiery, and stubborn, and reckless but in the best ways possible. cora, he is ruining you, and ripping you apart bit by bit." sam said, giving her a glare that she returned with the same amount of hostility.

"sam, you gotta understand something. i will never be that girl again, because i have been through hell and back all by my fucking self—"
she began, etching closer.

"and whatever you want me to be, will never happen again, whether you like it or you don't." she hissed, their faces inches apart.

"you can push us away, cora. but we know your still in there." she murmured, turning her back on the girl and walking out the door, leaving cora by herself again.

again.

...