Under the weather

Rain pelted down on the window of your small apartment. Letting you and your coworker, Bella, sit with nothing but the sound.  She had come over in anguish, complaining about something someone had said to her, it was unusual. Never having close conversations like that before. While working, you and them exchanged only small words, never having the opportunity to become closer.

The news played on the TV in front of you two, showcasing the weather for the night. While the rain was already heavy, it would get heavier. Possibly causing floods in many parts of the town, they recommended that you stayed off the roads. Not wanting anyone to risk the possibility of getting stranded.

Your eyes watched the TV intently, elbows on your knees as you leaned forward. Bella was to your left, perched on the side, watching with a worried look planted on her face. "Damn." they said breathily.

Glancing back at the teen, "Yeah." you said, agreeing with the short amount of words that came from his mouth. "You can stay the night if you want, the roads seem pretty bad."

You leant back on the couch, splaying your body out as you did. Your head turned towards your coworker, seeing them nod their head lightly. The temperature in the apartment began to drop, creating a cooler atmosphere regardless of the heat that was on. A small shiver ran up your spine, causing goosebumps too form on any exposed skin.

The clock on the TV flashed, show casing the time of night, '10 PM.' 

"You hungry?" You asked. A plethora of small snack foods had found its way into your stomachs, letting you two forget all about the possible case of dinner.

She shook her head lightly, phone in her hand as she scrolled, "Not really."

"Cool, cool." you said, drifting off shortly after. A silence filled the air between the two of you. It wasn't an uncomfortable nor a comfortable silence, one that sat heavily.

Bella's phone collided with her lap, creating a small 'slap' upon contact. Their throat cleared, causing your attention to wander over to them. "I'm pretty beat." they said sheepishly. A small and embarrassed smile found its way onto their face.

Heat rushed to your face, causing you to stand up quickly and turn away. Avoiding any possible way of seeing the flushed cheeks you adorned. "Right, sorry!" you exclaimed quickly. Your hand flew to the back of your neck, cupping it in anxiousness.

Bella's eyes scanned the room from behind you, longing for any blanket to end up in eyesight. When they didn't come up with nothing of the sort, they swallowed thickly. Regretting any amount of words that they were about to say, "Do you have a blanket?"

You turn, making eye contact with the teen. "What?"

Silence brew between you two, the heat of embarrassment radiating, creating a warmness that the room wouldn't hold. "A blanket...for me to use?"

"Why would you need a blanket?"

"...for the couch..."

Your eyes widened in realization, "yeah, okay" you began, thinking about the situation at hand, "– no. I'm not letting you sleep on the couch." Hands reaching out, you grabbed onto Bella's hands. Locking them to ensure no escape. "You're sleeping in my bed, the couch is for the dead."

Hands still interlocked as you two made your way down the hall, her voice sounded from behind you, "The dead?"

Opening the door, you let go of one of their hands, placing it on their back as you lightly pushed them in. The heat of the room enveloped the both you, creating a warm and humid atmosphere, shielding you from the harsh enviroment. "It's like a casket, its uncomfortable." you began, biting your tongue to stop talking.

The brunette stood in the middle of the room, looking at the walls that had decorations on them. Inspecting each piece of art, each picture and each thing that was your personality. "What?" she said quickly, head whipping over to where you stood pulling back the sheets.

"Nothing." you sounded, hands gripping the multicolored sheets and pulling them back with ease. The blankets were bundled at the end, letting it become easier to nestle into the warmth when the time came. "You want pajamas?"

She shook their head 'no'

"Okay." you shrugged, "Hop in." you gestured to the other side of the bed.

They trudged tiredly towards the bed, fatigue finally catching up to them as they plopped down. Laying on her side, you laid beside him. Sitting up to grab the blankets and pulling them over the both of you. 

You laid in silence, letting the dark and sound of thunder fill the room. The noise of the rain pelting down onto the windows and walls was loud, creating an uncomfortable feeling to nestle its way into you.

Your back was turned, feeling Bella shift from beside you. The soft feeling of warm breath reaching your body. An arm hesitantly founds its way your waist, when you showed no sign of resistance, the arm tightened. Creating a small barrier from the outside world.