28.

•Chapter Twenty-Eight•

•Lane•

It was around 10pm and I was watching Star Wars on my phone. Occasionally, a nurse would come in and check on me before giving me more medicine to help heal my injuries. I was able to get up to use the bathroom by myself but it still hurt to do so.

I ordered food from a nearby restaurant and was eating while watching my phone. Once I was done, I threw my plate away and turned my phone off.

Out of the blue, I heard a knock on my door. I was confused as to who it was because they wouldn't get back until around 11 and nobody knocked unless it was Topper.

I sat in silence and didn't say anything so that I would know if it was actually a knock or if it was a noise from down the hall. When I didn't say anything, the person opened the door and came in.

I was shocked to see Charlie, why would he be here?

"I'm sorry but I didn't say come in" I said, pointing at the door. He shrugged and looked around, "I see you're doing better" He stated, smirking at me.

I furrowed my eyebrows and stared at him, "Can you get out, I'm not feeling very well" I said. If what JJ said was true, I didn't want him in here with me taking advantage at me being vulnerable.

"I'm sorry, I'm just checking up on you. I haven't seen you since the crash" He said. "Excuse me?" I asked. Since the crash?

"Yeah, don't worry about it. I just wanted you to know that you deserved to get hurt, I was hoping you would die but I'll just have to try harder next time" He smirked, walking out of door before I could say anything.

Tears formed into my eyes, my heart rate picked up as I started gasping for air. I was hyperventilating at this point, it got worse and a nurse came rushing in to see what had happened.

5'9 and blonde hair, a man. It was Charlie, Charlie was the one who crashed into me. But what I couldn't understand, was why?

"I'm fine. Make sure nobody except Topper Thornton or Rafe Cameron come in this room, please check their names and ask me if they can come in. Call a police officer for me, please" I told the nurse who nodded and walked out.

I leaned my head back against my pillow, ready for Rafe to get back so I can tell him what just happened.

Not even 10 minutes later, a police officer showed up in my room. He stood at the foot of the bed with his walkie-talkie in his hand as he responded to something the other person said.

"What can I help you with?" He asked nicely. "I know who crashed into me" I said, watching his face go from a clam expression to a determined one.

"Okay, the lady who came to give a report told us that it was a man about 5'9 and he had blonde hair. Is this correct?" He asked as he got out his pen and notebook.

"Yes, his name is Charlie Jones and he's 18" I said, trying to hold back tears as I was about to explain what happened.

"How do you know this is him?" He asked as he wrote down what I just told him.

I explained to him what all happened and he nodded, calling in his walkie-talkie and thanking me before leaving. I checked my phone and it was about to be 11 so Rafe should be getting back soon.