Chapter Two

PHILIP

PHILIP

As I yelled at the king, I stomped on the ripped paper that told me to destroy my prized roses. All the while, the king just sat back and watched with amusement like I'm a fucking jester performing for him.

After I was done, I was gasping for air.

"You done with your tantrum?" The king asked.

"No, I'm fucking not!" I yelled back. "If I destroy my roses, I'll lose a majority of my profits! Are you going to pay me back all of my lost income?" I asked.

"Mmm, it would make sense to pay you back. I'll give you one silver coin per bouquet or roses destroyed." The king said.

"Wha- That's absurd! That's too little. I might as well close up shop!" I retorted back.

"It seems like we've gotten off on the wrong foot. Why don't we introduce ourselves?" The king ignored my previous demands.

All right you sexy bastard, I'll play along with you.

With a huff, I figured it wouldn't be bad to try to get on his good side. "My name is Philip Bellerose. I own the biggest florist shop downtown." I said.

"Hmm, what a coincidence that your last name is Bellerose and you are a florist. Is it a coincidence?" The king asked.

"Not really. My grandparents changed their name when they opened up the shop to make it more appealing." I said.

"And your parents? Where are they?" He asked.

I just want to get compensation in case I have to burn my roses! This feels like an interrogation!

"My dad left before I was born. My mom died when I was 15." I explained. I could see I struck a nerve with the king at the mention of my dead mother. I guess it's because the king himself lost his father when he was young.

He cleared his throat. "Tell you what, A gold coin per 2 pounds of roses. Final offer." He said, switching out of his amused look to a business one.

"Let me think about it, your highness." I said.

"Very well. You have two days." He said. I bowed and turned to leave until I heard him call back. "Wait a minute!" He yelled.

I turned and saw him standing up.

"Yes, your highness?" I asked.

"I received a voicemail last night. It was from a particular person who said some interesting words to me. Do you know anything about it?" He asked, his deep blue eyes staring into me. His curly brown hair was draped over his forehead, and his eyebrows furrowed.

My blush immediately gave me away. He caught me!

"May I ask how you managed to do that?" The king asked. It's not like I can lie to him. He already knows.