Chapter Nineteen

ALARIC

ALARIC

The soft grass provided a somewhat approvable bed for the both of us as we laid on our backs, staring up at the white clouds as they breezed by. The wind was blowing our hair and cooling down the sweat on our skin after we had fornicated on the grass. I turned to Philip, his green eyes staring up at the sky.

“You’re beautiful.” I said, aweing at his handsome looks.

“Me? You were literally Sexiest Man Alive this year.” Philip replied.

“Well, guess who else was with me during the photoshoot?” I teasingly asked, my fingers on his chest. 

“I was only there because you begged me to.” Philip rolled his eyes. He sat up and stretched his arms. 

“I’m guessing the grass wasn’t as soft as you imagined?” I asked.

“I think we should stick to hooking up inside the castle with linen sheets.” Philip rolled his head and cracked his neck. I sat up too and reached to put my coat over my bare chest. 

My head turned to the bushes of roses that have been thriving for the past two months. Pink and red blooms were spotted throughout the bushes and a few bees buzzed around the flowers. The efforts to add back the roses has been a success so far. And it’s all thanks to Philip, who has been a tremendous help for me. In many ways.

“Did you used to sell roses when they were banned?” I asked Philip. His face turned red and he let out a small chuckle.

“Maybe.” He whispered.

“I’m not mad about it. Honestly, I find it curious that you were able to do that right underneath me. And that was before we started dating.” I said.

“I did sell roses. But you know my business: if I have the flower, I will supply it. And that’s what I did.” Philip replied.

“Can’t even be mad at you. If I was in your position I would have done the same.”

“Really?” Philip asked.

“Of course. You are passionate about flowers. It’s in your nature. You sold roses, even knowing that they were banned and you worked directly under me. That takes guts.” I said.

“I never would have pictured myself to be here, laying naked in the grass with the king next to me.” He said. “You were the thing I never knew I needed.”

“Same goes for you. I genuinely feel like I have become a better person since I’ve met you. Despite our disagreements in the past, you are the one of the few people that I tolerate.” I said.

Philip kissed me and felt my body with his warm hands. 

“I love you, you son of a bitch.” He muttered.

“You too, you prick.” I replied. Philip split and drank some water from his bottle. I reached over and placed my crown back on my head. I stupidly smile, despite there being nothing for me to smile about.