Chapter Nine

ALARIC

ALARIC

I knew when my mother invited Philip that it would be a disaster. You don't put lipstick on a pig and expect it to be beautiful. And you don't put a person like Philip with others like me and expect him to act with class. It's impossible to make some out to be that they aren't.

And my mother was naive enough to believe Philip would act professionally.

"Alaric." Mother called me. I excused myself from the representative from Trindad and Tobago and went to go to her.

"Yes, mother?" I asked.

"We have a bit of a situation." She said. I could see her trying not to make it seem bad by shielding her face.

"Who is it?" I asked, pinching the bridge of my nose between my fingers.

"It's Philip." She said. I groaned loudly.

"What has he done?" I asked.

"He sort of got a little too drunk." She replied.

"Shove him in a broom closet. We'll do with him later." I said.

Truth is, Philip should be the last thing on my mind right now. But I'll admit. He's gotten my attention. First it was with how he was dressed. It was obvious that the tailor had gotten him fixed up in the best way. And then there was his pin. Very clever of him to use a rose pin instead of an actual rose.

"I'll have him taken to the kitchen bathroom." Mother said. She signaled a guard over and told him what to do.

I went up on my throne and got the attention of everyone. It was time for my speech that I had been preparing for.

I cleared my throat.

"Ladies and gentlemen. Thank you for attending this year's royal function. As king, it is my duty to make sure you all have a splendid evening."

I turned and saw the guard my mother had talked to dragging a drunk Philip away while everyone was distracted.

"Even though I've only been in this position for a year at most, I've quickly come to learn what it means to be a true leader. It hasn't been an easy process. But I have people such as my mother, the former queen, and my father, who passed away several years ago, to thank for their contributions in helping me to where I am. I've definitely needed some areas of improvement. And I've gladly been able to adapt. As my father once said, 'Be the man who takes the high road.' It's a motto I live by everyday. Thank you all for your attendance. I look forward to speaking with everyone here before the night ends. Thank you." I finished my speech.